IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me while I vent a bit but man this really bugs me.
It's not enough that we have to put up with littering on our metro and coastal rivers but the plague of garbage seems to be moving east to the Deschutes!!!! :mad: What makes matters worse is people who will not pick up after their dogs along the trail on the lower two miles!!! :mad: :mad: At Heritage Landing and across the river at the state park there are bags provided to clean up after your dog! which are required to be on a leash by the way. At least you would think people would kick sand over their dog's droppings? Nope can't be bothered.
I saw more trash, mono,discarded cans and other debris tonight that in all my other trips this year combined! I hauled out as much as I could but only have two hands :mad:
Is it too much to expect that people respect this great river? For that matter any river? This is a problem as serious as snagging in my opinion.

[ 09-26-2003, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hear ya Stew. I used to get mad about trash and line on the river banks that I frequented. Beleive it or not, I actually started picking up after others(not others' dogs though) and carting the trach home in my fishing bag. For some reason it made me feel good when I left the river better than I found it. It's amazing how other people see you doing this and then pitch in to help as well. I'm not saying this is right for you, it's just my experience, but it still is too bad that others don't have respect for the river...or the law if you want to get technical.

RAL

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
I share your frustration, and would like to do put energy into solving this, too.

It's very frustrating to clean up the whole area of the Kilchis by myself, only to come back two weeks later and find it's trashed again.

Who raises these humans? I just can't grasp the concept of feeling OK about leaving your trash on the ground?!?!?!

Jen

·
Registered
635 Posts
We seem to have the same problem here on the S. Santiam just below the Lebanon Dam. I visited there just before the run of the kings and it was very nice. A month later it looked like there'd been an encammpment and they'd left everything they'd brought with them short a matress and box springs.

I always take out more than I take in and have for years but this is absolute filth and there's no reason for it. What makkes it harder to swallow is that once the rains arive most of it will wash downstream.

Greg

·
Registered
466 Posts
Stew, used to be one of my favorite places to go. I remember in the '70's fishing for miles and never seeing another person. That was before
rafting became so popular and the river turned into a business venture and all the problems you mentioned. Rarely go there anymore. To bad, beautiful canyon, great redsides.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
I think part of the problem is to many hatchery brats. I mean nonnative citizens. 20 years ago anytime someone would come to visit our great state the first words out of their mouth was how clean the place was.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I couldn't agree more. it is getting out of hand. I fish the upper wilson a lot and actually saw some of the county inmates on there garbage cleaning trip and all they did was sit down and try to snag steelhead!!!!!! I mean catch them with 10 feet of line and a bare hook. the officer that was with them did nothing at all then after about 10 minutes they moved on to another place leaving the river in the exact same condition as they found it covered in beer box's and garbage :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, the "folks" that litter should be deported to 3rd World countries for two to three months and live in the garbage, litter, filth and debris that one finds there. Then maybe they would get a clue..

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
here's a story about one of my fishing experience at Warrendale in the summer. if you've been their you know who i'm talking about. My friends and I who are not white got picked on by a bunch of white guys who are and claimed that since we didn't live here (usa) first we should pick up all the trash of the white black asian green purple folks that trash the place. the gentilman was nice enough to pack a pistol on his hip. with four other guys packing just as much if not more while they drank and cussed everyone who wasn't white near them. so while you guys get frustrated please take into acct the human aspect. needless to say mr 357 never came out but nor did the trash leave that day and i usually pack out trash on all my trips.. i wonder where it came from? the guy that did all the cussing or someone else :rolleyes: . i really hope some of those guy see this note because every race trashes even your own, picking on someone color is called racism.

sorry just gotta get that out seeing your trash notes.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Its sad Stew I know. We have just gotten in the habit of bringing along an exta garbage bag when we head out fishing. Policing the area when we are done, or while waiting for the bite. The strange part is, there is very often a garbage can to put it in within walking distance.

The Bend/Redmond area has been the fastest growing area in the state for a couple of years now. Do I dare say anything about the influx of new residents from the south?

Maybe contact the visitors bureau and see if they will give out litter bags to all who stop in. As for the locals,... Maybe a digital camera and a cell phone with the non-emergency police number programmed into the speed dial??

Jamie

·
Registered
14 Posts
need you ask why i don't want the public fishing on my property? the trespassing hunters leave no trash, but the fishermen? yuk!

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
The Deschutes is easy access with large numbers if hatchery fish to kill that are reletively easy to catch.. Therefore you are going to have fishing related garbage. Period thats it end of story. It will ALWAYS bee that way and there is nothing anyone can do about it.. Easy limits bring out thoes types of anglers every single time. Want a nicer experience there you have 2 choices.. 1. make access harder 2 make it catch and release only.

I choose not to be around thoes people therefore I avoid the Deschutes like the plague during August September and October. The quality experience this river used to provide no longer exsists. it might as well be the Cowlitz at blue creek. Another place ruined by too many hatchery fish and a harvest oreineted managment goal.

it's not right it's not fair but thats the way it is.. You don't see any fishing related garbage on the very heavily fished fly only section of North Umpqua. As soon as you get into the anything goes water all kinds of garbage everywhere.

no way around it.. easy limits = garbage on the river...

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
TC my coreelation was not intended to single out any one type of gear for praise or rebuke. I by no means believe all fly anglers are above reproach nor do i think that all gear anglers are slobs. My only correlation was that when easy limits are available it draws out a certain type of person that isn't concerned about the resource.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thing is Rob the lower river is by no means easy limits. I don't know if it's a lot of people out of work or what the deal is but there is a lot of pressure on the lower river for widely scattered fish. I'm done with it for this year and won't fish it much from now on. Too much river to cover and too many people!
BTW I found a bait container last night also.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Stew this year you are right no easy limits this year but in general deschutes fish are easy and there are plenty of them and that draws out the nasties

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well Said Rob!! :hoboy: I lived 4 years in Alaska, and as I read your words, you are exactly right. That is applicable in Alaska too. The places where access and salmon catching are "easy" one finds trash... :depressed: Again, well said!! Unfortunate, but true!! :whazzup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts