IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between Direct TV, Satellite and regular Cable TV wires?

I'm remodeling and have multiple walls open. I'm installing some RG6 Quadshield Cable right now. If I switched to another service in the future, I would hate to pay for more wire to be installed.

I heard that Direct TV always wants to install their cable, stating that the other stuff will not work.
Is that true?

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's no difference, my direct tv is running off of my old cable wires right now. Just remember if you are going to run the dvr, you will need an extra wire for that.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
there are a few types of dish cables you can not run cable tv on!!!!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You will need a phone line also
Phone lines are IF you want to order movies etc. and convience, I have 2 DVR's via Direct TV. no phone lines attached, in fact have a DVR in my Camper.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought.

I was at the home improvement store and they didn't have anything better than RG6 and there was nothing that talked about direct or dish cables.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I used to work for dish, the rg6 is what you want you can go better but in order to run a digital signal you need rg6 or better, dish, direct tv, digital cable uses rg6. quad sheild is great stuff

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't forget that if you plan on using Tivo or another dvr you will need a minimum of 2 separate cables.

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts