IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the new digital scales any good? I tried a search but nothing came up. I've been lookin' at 'em--Berkley, Rapala & Renegade. Which is best?
Are there any other kinds besides those mentioned?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
MicroFish, I had one of the Berkley 50# scales a few years ago, wife got it for me for x-mas and it fell apart on a summer steelhead on the Columbia. The mistake was she got it through mail order from some place back east and he wouldn't replace it, told me to send it too Berkley.
I,m going to get another one soon localy (GI Joe's, Fishermans) so if I have a problem they'll take care of me. I only have experience with Berkley and I liked it and thought it was easy to use. GI Joe's has the 50# on sale this week for $27.00, reg.$31.99 I think it said, Fishermans wants $39.99 (5/17).
If you don't get replys about the other scales you mentioned I'd be runnin' to Joe's to get a Berkley while they're on sale.

Smj

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I was just reading an article last night in a magazine about the world record largemouth bass. Some guy cought one that weighed 22.5 lbs on his digital scale which would be the new world record and worth about 8 million dollars if he was a member of some bass fishing organization. The fish weighed in at 20.1 lbs on an official scale - well shy of the record. That's a pretty big difference in my book, but I'd guess they are at least as accurate as the fancy spring scales like the one I have. My spring scale doesn't take batteries though and I can splash it in Salt water and it still works :grin:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
I have had no experience with the Renegade.

I have sold the Berkley and the Rapala. I have taken several Berkley's back due to inaccuracy.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Mine's a Berkely also.

The accuracy was questioned once on a trip in a friends boat. I took the scale to work where we have certified scales. I would measure objects on the certified scale, then on the fish scale. My Berkely was dead on accurate with between 1/2 pound up to about 30 pounds that I checked with. I was impressed. I'd certainly trust a digital scale, a good one, a lot more than a spring type scale!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Powerboat reports did a test on a bunch of scales, some digital and some spring. They sent these to IGFA for certification. Something like 2/3 wouldn't even pass, either for inaccuracy or repeatability. Only one digital passed, the rest were springs. If I get a chance I'll post the brands/results. It was kinda surprising! :cheers:

·
Registered
491 Posts
hey,that is a good question and something i have wondered about.i have the berkley 50lb.it seems pretty acurate.i weighed a 10lb bag of flour and it weighed 10lb.seems like a good unit for the price.i had a spring scale and it worked ok for a while.it rusted up so bad it became unusable.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've weighed 35 and 40 lb. pyramid style stern anchors with my spring scale and both were right on. I've got a nice aluminum one (about $50) that won't rust and it seems to be very accurate. I notice that they use a similar one at the bow shops to set the pull weight. I'm interested to see what Miss B Haven digs up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the Berkly 50 lb. Digital. I brought it into work where I also have Certified scales, tested within .1 lbs of everthing I measured up to 20kgs. I've also checked it just recently now that it's been a yr. since buying it. Still right there at .1 lbs. of everthing I checked. :smile:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I bought the Rapala 10 pound digital for bass fishing about 13 years ago. I weighed different items from the local grocery store that had been weighed on certified scales and found mine to accurate within 2 ounces. The owner of a resort I used to go to in Tennessee used the same to weigh in big bass there. He said his consistantly read about 4 to 5 ounces low. I use a spring scale for salmon/steelhead and will use dumbell freeweights to confirm the accuracy of my scale at about the weight of a big fish.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a Normark 50 lb. digital scale I bought from Bass Pro about 8 years ago. They are very accurate, within a ounce or two, thats accurate enough for me. I didn't see them in the Bass Pro Catalog, but they sell in Cabela's for $34.95.

Rich

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I would like to find one that weighs about 3 pounds heavy :grin:

[ 04-19-2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: k9jeff ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts