IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you Ifishers have digital camera's I know ****** has one, I might need a quick pic one day.I have regular camera but pics take awhile to develop..... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Digital is the way to go if you want and need instant access to pics. They make them so small now you can just slip them in your shirt pocket so you can take them anywhere. Thanks to a drift boat fishing trip last year on the Wilson with Uglygreen I just had to have one. Check out the Minolta Dimage Xi or the Casio Exlim. I'm sure there are others out there but these 2 are very small and have 3.2 megapixels so you can take some awsome pics with them.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
They are nice. I love mine because I can document every trip and put it in a photoalbum on the computer. (The only depressing thing was that trout were the biggest fish in those pictures for the first 5 weekends :depressed: ) Spring Chinook pictures aren't that great when they just show people sitting in a boat. :grin:

The only drawback is you need to be careful to keep them dry. I am anal about it because I don't want to lose my $200 purchase. I couldn't find a waterproof camera in my price range. They do make them for divers but they are $$$. So are the water-tight cases. A ziplock bag works fine for me.

I got the Nikon Coolpics 2000 if you are doing a survey.

·
Administrator
119,501 Posts
I'd usually move this to LIG, but we haven't had a good discussion on digis for a long time. Please feel free to do a search on digitals, both on LIG and the archives.
Technology is ever changing and prices are continually dropping.
I'm in the market for a new one, and may sell my Nikon Coolpix. I love it, but it's bulky, and the processing time between pics is frustratingly slow.
I have the 950. Is the 2000 faster?
Jen

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I really don't know Jennie.

I use a disk port on PC computers and the 'camera cable' (or whatever it's called) on a G4 Apple computer. They both seem to work at a reasonable rate, but the 'camera cable' is a little slower.

I have no experience with the 950. I think we have the 850 at work. Again we use that with a disk port and some pretty fast computers so it doesn't take long at all.

If you are weighing your options, maybe a $30 disk port would solve your speed problems. It's cheaper then a new camera, and if it didn't help it wouldn't be a waste because you could always use it with your next Coolpix (saves on battery drain).

Just a thought...

·
Administrator
119,501 Posts
I'm talking about the time between clicking pictures...
J

N

·
0 Posts
Mine is SWEET! (Link to Site for features)

Amazing what they can put into the size of about a pack of cigs.

Rick

[ 08-28-2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
I'm using the Canon Powershot S30 - paid about $450 over a year ago, after reading a lot of good things about here on Ifish.

It's been a great camera; even took a minor dunking on the Metolius and after drying out is still working.

I really like how the battery recharges in less than an hour and, Jennie, the recycle time between pics is fast - I never have to wait; just compose and shoot, compose and shoot; very nice when we're handling fish.

Lots of features too, I haven't scratched the surface yet on all the 'shooting modes' it has (after I figure out all the features of the GPS, maybe the camera will be my next electronic challenge).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My oldest daughter has a Canon Power Shot (don't know the number) new in the last year. She took that camera all over Europe. Pictures galore were e-mailed home. Shoots pictures around the house and for work. It is great. She is a good photographer and she really likes the Canon she has now. I have used it a few times and its great. Really small and compact and just about fits into anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you buy a digital camera I would highly recommend a Pelican case to protect your investment. Cases4Less.com is a good resource to check out.

·
Registered
756 Posts
At school we used Sony Mavicas. Pop the disc in the camera, take your shot, pop the disc into the computer. No wires necessary. We had a bulkier one and one smaller one the kids (and even me, duh?) could figure out. Zoom was included.

S

·
0 Posts
My wife bought the Canon EOS 10D.
6.3 megapixels :shocked: Now if we could just figure out how to use it

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
With my history of camera abuse I opted for cheap digital. Got a HP Photosmart 320 for $72 on special. Its easy to use, has 2.1 megapixl and takes decent photos...fits in my pocket and is somewhat shock/waterproof as I dropped it 4 or 5 feet onto the river gravel and it bounced lens down into 3" of riffly water...I snatched it up, dried it off and it still works fine. If and when I break it or lose it, another one won't break the bank. :wink:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have the Sony Mavica FD-90. It is kind of big compared to some, but it takes really nice pictures! It uses floppies or the memory card. It is easy to use and has a lot of features, some I know and some I still need to learn!!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use digital cameras for my small business. I record/edit videos. I chose a Sony TRV-17 because of all of its features. Anyone needs any shots taken, get ahold of me.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
after I bought the wife :wink: the kodak ls443 last christmas we had numerous problems, sent it in to be fixed, got it back for another bout of problems...this kept going since we have had it, I called and told them I either want a brand new camera or money back, they have sent the dx6440 we got it yesterday and have yet to hook it up and use it. I will say they are very easy to operate and download on the puter and take great pics but way to prone to malfunction especially for the price I paid, hope that this one is not so prone to problems. I sure lost alot of what I had thought about kodak since that first camera, I hope this one will restore that. ANYONE HAVE THIS CAMERA? ANY PROBLEMS?

[ 08-28-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bought the Canon A70 and have been very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts