IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm fairly new to salmon fishing and was wondering how effective drift fishing is for salmon? I love drift fishing for steelhead and want to see from the experts on how it stacks up against other techniques such as float fishing, or back bouncing. any sugestions on a good rig set up?

thank you! :cheers:
chris

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You can drift fish for salmon the same way you do steelhead. I do it all the time, even at Hi rocks! Many times I often catch salmon drifting corkies and sandshrimp! Once they get into upper Mciver that is all I do!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Years ago we used to drift fish for salmon on the McKenzie. We caught fish, but then I moved to Grants Pass and learned how to back bounce. If you're fishing from a drift boat, back bouncing will produce many more fish. Other techniques such as KwikFish will also produce

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I have a boat and plug gear but I prefer to drift fish for them. I never liked bobber fishing, I like the feel of a good bite, especially the ones where they play with the bait for a while, tap tap, tap tap, chew chew, tap. Feels like a little trout and WHAM!!!!
I'm betting you have the Clack in mind. You already know the big pools and eddies where the slaughter goes on, not hard to miss. Those pools get fished for a reason. They hold a lot of fish and it is typical water that salmon prefer.
Those Springers are really going to start trucking up the river and they gotta go through the steelhead water also. IMO they don't hold in that stuff as long as they would the deeper pools but they'll be there. Pick some steelheady stuff and fish the heck out of it. You might want to bump your leader/mainline test up a bit but I usually just fight them on my steelhead gear providing I have the room to move along the bank.
After over twenty years of fishing for salmon I have yet to have a springer take me out of the hole where I intitally hooked it. Had a few coastal Fall runs leave the hole but so far, no Springers.
Pay particular attention to the tops of the runs too, Springers can be found nosed up in the fast stuff at the top. I like to have my stuff screaming down from the run above so it's banging bottom by the time it hits the top of the drift I am fishing.
These are really fun hits to get, you'll see what I mean if you get one that way.
Springers are also notorious for messing with bait for a looong time, your stuff is stopped at the end of the drift and they are down there munching on it. Be patient and let em' chew on it a bit until you feel a steady pressure then whack em' hard. Summer fish also follow baits but usually take it a bit more aggressively.
Hope this helps. I have a busted foot and can't get out for a while, must live vicariously throught ehBB for now......

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i really love drift fishing and cant wait to give it a try for salmon. How does sand shrimp stack up against eggs as a drift bait for salmon? I prefer shrimp for steelhead. Do you use a pertucular color corky and do you go larger on it's size?

madmikey, thanks for the past info on the fieldhiemers drift. I made my first run of it last week and followed your advice up to eagle creek were i went right instead of left and got stck on the shallow first rapid. no big deal the waters height is at a forgiving level right now.
hope your foot heals quickly! :smile:

thank you,
chris

·
Registered
602 Posts
:dance: :dance: Shrimp in my opinion works just as good as eggs at times. But i always most of the time fish eggs and shrimp combo and do very good with it. Caught 13 springers last year out of the Clackamas on shrimp and eggs. Half of the thirteen fish includes what my twin caught. Biggest was 35 pounder

[ 05-10-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: worldlyme ]

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Sounds like your're running a boat so I have 3 things that work well for Springers or Fall fish.

1. Backbounce Eggs
2. Backbounce Eggs
3. Backbounce Eggs

This has been my experience and I am pretty sure you can ask guide after guide about these techniques and if they have to pick only one... this is it.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Backbouncing, no argument here. Kind of hard to do if you are pulling on the sticks also, unless you are anchored up of course.
Etacada(is that a suburb of Estacada? :wink: ), If you are fishing bait with a corky I don't think the fish give a rip about corky color. The times I've fished straight corky and yarn for them I found myself very fond of the Kelly Green corky with yellow yarn or a Pink pearl with red or orange yarn. Everyone has their favorite and swears by em', I bet you will find twenty different preferences for twenty different anglers. The one you have in the water is the one that you will catch a fish on.
I prefer shrimp but definitely have noticed a preference for one over the other when the bite is on in the more popular holes. Bring both. I also think there is something to that "Tillamook Cocktail", ugly big wad of bait but it sure looks purty' to the fish!!!
At times when the bite seems to be off I will switch to a #5 vibrax for a while, usually brass or gold blades, never hurts to throw em' a curve.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are in a boat backbouncing or diver and bait is the best way to deliver a bait to a hungry salmon.

Shrimp are great if you don't have access to good eggs. Good eggs will usually outfish shrimp hands down. I've noticed that shrimp work better when the water is cooler or in tailouts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts