IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Amermans steelhead cure a little in the past few weeks and haven't gotten one bite from a silver on it. Is the makeup on the steelhead cure different from the salmon cure? I was just curious. Hopefully some of the egg GURUS out there can shed some light on this mystery. :wink:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Hint, they (the salmon cure) may be laced with Sodium Sulfite or Bi-sodium sulfite. Steelhead don't really care for that stuff in the cure (but don't listen to me on steelhead because I am THE BLIND SQUIRREL of Steelhead). Am I on the right track here fellas? :wink:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have cured some eggs with the steelhead formula & it smells like there is sodium sulfite in it. In fact I cant tell the difference between the two so I'm curios also. They both look & smell the same.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I doubt they will let any of their secrets out, but here is the basic info from the amerman's about their cures. I'm sure there are expert's out there that are in the know :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I do know that his salmon cure is more mineral based than his steelie cure(I Think).I know he says that steelhead don't carry the same mineral cravings that salmon carry. :tongue:

R.R.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
How'd ya do this week end Greg?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Only three for two days.One on eggs and two on spinners,can't complain too much the weather was awesome!!can't wait to drift the wilson or trask!!
R.R.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Scott and Grant are real busy these days guiding.
My guess is that they would respond if they could.

I will try to add my two cents. I've used both their steelhead and salmon cures and these guys never seem to cross them up when I've been on their boats. Seems like they really try to stick to the plan of using each cure for the targeted species.

I CAN tell you that I've caught several steelhead on the salmon cure, but no salmon ever on the steelhead cure. The steelhead I've caught have been incidental, but who cares!

I can also add that the coho seem to like the salmon cure really well...its not just for chinook!

HC

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I don't know the specific difference in the two cures, but I do know from my experience with it, that there salmon cure works for everything. I cure ALL my eggs with there salmon cure and have caught many steelhead with it and plenty of coho. I haven't had a chance to use it on the nooks, but that will change this weekend. Then again, my "go to" steelhead cure before Amerman's was sugar and borax, maybe it doesn't matter as much for steelies.

·
Registered
557 Posts
For what it's worth, I landed a bright 31# buck chinook on Amerman's steelhead cure last Friday that swallowed the hook. Not much debating whether that one was fair hooked or not! Also hooked a few more fish that day on the steelhead cure.

It's so hard to tell if it makes a real difference with only a few fish hooked each time you use it.

I can say that I am impressed with the quality of the eggs using that cure. They milk out well, and don't fall apart after each cast.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. This time of year, unless someone tells me to check something out here, I rarely have time. The reason I make two differnet cures is because salmon and steelhead are so different. Salmon are dying quick and are going through many cravings and their body is shutting down fast. If a salmon is in a shut-down mode, you can drift your bait one inch from it 50 times, and it won't touch your stuff. But if you can stimulate the same fish through its senses of smell, it may swim 5 feet to grab your bait. If a salmon isn't stimulated to bite, it really doesn't matter what your bait tastes like to it because it will never find out. What they crave and what stimulates them is very different from what steelhead want and eat.

Steelhead are dying slow and their bodies go through slow changes. They really don't need to be stimulated through their sense of smell as much as salmon. Some of the things we use to stimulate salmon tastes bad to a steelhead. I believe this to be true also of Borax and some other commonly used steelhead cures. This is why so mnay people feel the need to jerk at every bump. I think if you have what a steelhead craves and likes the taste of, they will hold onto it and search it out.

Can you catch salmon on the steelhead cure and steelhead on the salmon? Without a doubt. If a salmon takes the steelhead cure, it will probably like the taste. But many fish will never find out how they taste because they will not go try them? Steelhead will take the salmon cure; they just won't take it very long and will spit it out more quickly as they find the taste bad.

This is a little of my theory as two why I make two cures.

Scott

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You may also visit scott's cure page wich is provided on a link here on Ifish to read about his differant cure.... Just click HERE for a quick link right to his cure page. If you are wanting to learn some new a differant techniques in fishing bait for steelhead or just looking for a good fun winter steelie trip don't hesitate to give Scott or Grant a call it will be worth it and you will learn so much you will need to take a 2 day trip to take it all in. I have learned so much about fishing bait in only a few trips with them more than I had learned in all the other years I have spent using trial and error. You will also not find a nicer buch a guys to fish with. Scott's steelhead cure works great in all conditions because I have fished it in high water, low water, flood water, cold water, warm water, brown water, clear water and have been successfull in all. I have retired my plugs and divers and strickly gone to his bait and have increased my catch to trip ratio to very high success rate. If I can give any good advice take a few trips learn the techniques and apply and practice you will with out a doubt become a better fisherman. Good luck to all this winter.

Derek Anderson

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I've never tried Amermans yet but I can catch coho on any cured eggs I get my hands on.

Yesterday me and Brad Schoenborn caught several coho on Sure Cure, Pro Cure, a mix of both, didn't matter.

I went down river with only two baits and used them up and a fisherman offered me some of his eggs and I caught another coho on his eggs that didn't look anything special.

I'm a firm believer that you put any eggs in front of a coho and he/she will bite it.

Fact I think I will go down to the Cowlitz or Elocoman in just a few minutes and catch a fish or two.

Dan

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Scott, that could be why I haven't caught anything, they're probably spitting it out before I feel the take. I'll have to see you at the Sportsmans show this spring and buy sa bottle of each type of cure. :grin: I really like the way the eggs turned out using this cure though, so does my neighbor.

Now bring on the STEEL. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wait a minute here....are you saying Scott that steelhead don't like a borax cure? Just curious because I packed up all of my coho eggs in Borax for steelhead fishing. :blush:

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Don't worry, they'll eat those borax eggs just fine. :grin:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I dunno, I know that at least 100 + steelhead had no problem with the Salmon cure this year. Now if Scott could guarantee that that might change to 200....... :rolleyes: :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts