IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
launched at freds for a day of fishing on the willy and the channel. not much going on near the mouth of the channel so i decided to motor out towards the columbia. as i get near the columbia a bad smell of diesel fills the air. whats that? my son points out the rainbow colored water. yup there is it is. a light shene of oil covering the mouth of the willy. i quickly bail out of there. it was terrible. the oil seemed to be coming from the slough on the left hand side heading back into oregon just past the last plant out there. weird thing was people continued to fish the area. that grossed me out. i saw the coast guard cruise out there abot 30 minutes after i left not sure of the outcome but thats certainly not evironmentally sound. :mad: :mad: :mad:

my day ended with no fish again. i must be in the running for the baton

talked with the fish guy he had 3 fish for 46 boats. :hoboy:

[ 05-03-2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I noticed it right away. I was afraid to light a match the diesel was so strong. I heard on the news it was a spill that originated in a channel from a fuel truck that was left unmonitored. Something like 3,000 gallons spilled. I hope the fine the person responsible. I Also went fishless, with one take down.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
We got into the slick down by Bachelor Island above St. Helens. I talked to the Columbia County Sherrif when they checked us and they did not see too worried :depressed:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
:cheers: A hint for 5Cents and the rest of you channle fishers. Move up rive a couple bridges. Fish are being caugh and no diesel smell.
You can watch them working on the Barge to be launched on the 12th and might get a fish too. One for one today and only one rod in the water. Hit on a spinner and prawn. Netted about an 18lb hen to take home. Not bad for only four 3 hours work....

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts