IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modern Marvels on the History Channel last night on Commercial Fishing?

If not...it was a good one...going back to the Cod fishery and it's decline to today's Pollack fishing up north.

Talked a lot about maintaining fish stocks...and the fight between the US and the rest of the world.

Fish farms of the future and how that will become the answer.

It goes along very well with the discussion we've been having...but it was sad seeing those giant tuna being wrapped up in a net.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I saw part of it. I was too tired to stay awake any more. What I saw was good. I hope to catch it again from start to finish. I love the visuals (reinactments) that the History Chanel puts in all their programs. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Saw it a few years ago or at least a similar one. The statement that fish farms will be a thing of the future - well they are finding them like many of Man's endevours to be extremely BAD for the environment where they are located - waste from the fish and uneaten food being the huge concern.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw it a few years ago or at least a similar one. The statement that fish farms will be a thing of the future - well they are finding them like many of Man's endevours to be extremely BAD for the environment where they are located - waste from the fish and uneaten food being the huge concern.
They are moving the farms off shore to help with the fish poop problem.

Just a shame that man can't harvest the ocean's bounty without exploiting it. You have to just love the Asian markets...NOT!

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Ya the old adage - "the solution to pollution is dilution" Ok so you move it further away problem goes away - so lets build some more. I think we have messed up the ocean bad enough, but sadly there is nothing we can do about the asian fish vacuum - simply too many people to feed any other way than to rely on exploiting the ocean.

I do not buy farmed fish - nope

I watched a show about the off shore fish farms - it wasn't one of those warm fuzzy shows.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, anytime we start trying to do something that nature was intended to do...we screw things up even more.

Greed is killing this planet.

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Yeah, anytime we start trying to do something that nature was intended to do...we screw things up even more.

Greed is killing this planet.
Greed and the thought that I want to get mine while I still can

Last Century of Man

Here we are
At the beginning of the last century for man
Usin' up parts of the world we haven't even seen or been to
The wretched of the earth exploited
by the rich few

What's new?

If you are not outraged
You haven't been paying attention
If you are not outraged
You haven't been listening
That about sums it up I think

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
6 or 8 billion people gotta eat something. Just wait til they want their fair share of cars, houses, fish and wildlife.

If all 6 billion of us lived as nature intended, hunting and gathering, the human population would shrink rather quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts