IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
For years after purchasing my first new 4x4 I had repeated nightmares of the rig being stolen, and later finding it striped and up on blocks in a bad part of town.
I've encountered the same experience with my Jeep which I've had since high school. Crazy as it may seem, I somehow had it in Mexico and found it stripped. Couldn't figure out why they would pull a 2.5L. Was slightly bummed when I woke because I already had plans for a larger motor.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have 4 boats. 23.5 Wellcraft, 22 sled, 14 and a 12 aluminum boats. Don't use the 23.5 at all since salmon fishing has been pretty much curtailed in Puget Sound. It is the most expensive boat. Going to move it to Lake Roosevelt for fishing there. I have obsessed over boats.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
When I ordered my Raptor (truck, not boat) I obsessed for six months waiting for them to build it. Totally worth the wait.
Now I’m starting to obsess waiting for the Bronco which will probably also be about six months:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
TTT...

Why can't you 'like' your own post (#38)...

Today, my Corolla XRS turned #190,002 and I thought it would be momentous... but I was distracted and didn't even see it happen until it was history!

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about after you make that purchase you have obsessed about? Before purchasing I shop and shopped for the new to me boat. 21 ft TJ. Now I have to keep looking to make sure or not. that I made a good purchase. Crazy stuff,

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,821 Posts
Old post but what the hell.

I bought a '69 GTO Judge from a shipmate that was leaving the boat for promotion to civilian. For maybe two years I obsessed over that car, had to have it. He kept saying no until he said yes. We had alot of fun in that car. Spent alot of money on it too. Muscle cars are expensive to operate. I sold it the same way to a shipmate as I left the fleet.

I obsessed for more than 20 years over a metal boat built locally by a certain builder. It started back in the 20th century when I saw the shiny boat my buddy bought there in his front yard. Of course the reality was I could not actually afford or justify the purchase. A few times I would go to the boat yard and ask about it and would get refused, 'Too busy' or 'You sport fish guys are a PIA'. Then I heard that the chance was slipping away, retirement and no more boats built there. Heard a rumour that the last boat had left that yard already. I went to see that last boat and decided to make the deal. And I could not buy a finished boat. It had to be a glider and I was going to have to finish the build. Whatever, obsession has no logic or limits.

That last time he said yes and I had the money. No second thoughts at all. I have big fish to kill and Hattori Hanzo built one more ....

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Regardless... You think about it constantly... right.

Then you pull the trigger and only realize later ... It's a 'hole in the water' you throw money into.

Why?

Not so much that you wanted it.

But you didn't know what you were getting into.

Car or boat, it's the same.

Or am I missing something?

Yes, always. In the end, the only big ticket items I've ever really regretted buying are Chrysler products. I've regretted that every single time.

I obsess and fret every time I buy a new boat. Every time I enjoy the hell out of them and use them a ton!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I obsess. My current boat, came up on Craigslist and miraculously squeezed into what I thought was an impossible window: I wanted a modern-era welded boat, 20’ or bigger, from a major manufacturer, with Japanese outboards, suitable for nearshore ocean fishin, and oh yeah it needed to be around $20k. That’s a tall order. When it came up I ended up second in line and so I kinda forgot about it. A couple weeks later, I’m standing in front of my big lathe makin’ parts and my phone dings.... “yours if you want it!” ..... uh oh.... my wife was off hiking the oregon PCT for a month and I had some big invoices coming due... it came together, with a little accommodation from the very kind seller (I only pay cash for toys and needed a minute to get it all in one lump).

I’ve obsessed over trucks, jeeps, bikes (both motor and human powered), guns guns guns, guitars, vintage Fender amps, optics, boats, climbing gear..... a couple gals... I can light up a fire of obsession like a BOSS, haha.

Reactions: IIonPilgrimg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Regardless... You think about it constantly... right.

Then you pull the trigger and only realize later ... It's a 'hole in the water' you throw money into.

Why?

Not so much that you wanted it.

But you didn't know what you were getting into.

Car or boat, it's the same.

Or am I missing something?
If you have to obsess then you can not afford it .

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I reserved a Bronco within 30 minutes of the window opening.

I sat on my order through the first year as I was waiting for a painted black top.

And waited and waited...then they came out with the 2022 specs and ordering sheets.

Nothing really new and no new painted top...

I decided that I can aftermarket anything I want and am tired of waiting - so, I placed my order right before Thanksgiving.

Because of my early reservation number, my Bronco jumped way up the production list and in fact was sent into production on the 7th.

It should ship to me by the end of this month or early February.

How do I know all this info?

Because I look at the stupid website 10 times a day to watch the progress of the build.

I am sure that my friends and wife are tired of me talking about all the super cool things that the Bronco will do...I think I am almost as bad as a Tesla nerd ;)

And - I do this with every big purchase...non stop.

The problem is, once I have it, I start obsessing about something else.

I am pretty sure I like the chase better than the kill.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Tagster, I switched my reservation to the soft top in September and picked up my Bronco in November :)
Worth the wait and obsessing, but now I’m waiting for a chance to get off-road with it. It did great in the snow though!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Tagster, I switched my reservation to the soft top in September and picked up my Bronco in November :)
Worth the wait and obsessing, but now I’m waiting for a chance to get off-road with it. It did great in the snow though!
I swapped mine to soft top as well - with the hard top prep kit.

Glad to hear it was great in the snow...I can't wait to get this thing!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So, you're saying this Corolla still has you obsessing?
(all smiles)

I'll read Han Solo next...

Tonight... 01/11/2022... I changed the oil in my driveway (Mobile 1 filter and Mobile 1 synth oil 5W/30) and I grabbed a sharpie and wrote on the core support the night I did so.

Then, I noticed the (professionally installed) amp wiring from the battery was so corroded w/ green it would no longer carry the juice to my amps (x2) (ie: zero sound) and broke out the pliers, terminals and soldering iron. Why don't they use marine tinned wire to begin with? (10 gauge and it fails w/ corrosion in short order!)

No! I'm not obsessed... Don't care what you say!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
JeffO (#50) and the wife,

Dude... She (was) hikin' the Oregon PCT for a month and you're bloggin' 'bout a Toyota Corolla? (LOL)

Skip the crude acronyms (no offense)... what you thinkin' and where where you then?

Pacific Coast Trail... backpack and not much else... Bucket List!

I may have mistitled the thread a bit... Or, did I?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
OK, I've read Han Solo...
He's nothing to say that I understood past..."'69 GTO Judge..."!
How do you convey ribbing a fellow w/ your elbow, in a blog post?
At least they made more than one color: (Hugger Orange) (or, did they?)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
If you have to obsess then you can not afford it .
One would think not...

But (for the last week and) tomorrow... I have a new/old obsession...

Hint: Never been featured on Top Gear (although mildly respectable)

I will 'bait' until the title is mine!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes, always. In the end, the only big ticket items I've ever really regretted buying are Chrysler products. I've regretted that every single time.

I obsess and fret every time I buy a new boat. Every time I enjoy the hell out of them and use them a ton!
Chrysler problems are many: Thermo-quad carb, distributor w/ holes that set timing, etc.
But other mfg's used the same things and you can't dis' an old 383/440 about torque... if ignition is set right!
1/8 mile monster!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts