IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
4,377 Posts
I obsess about any larger ticket item that I'm considering buying. The more expensive, the more I lay awake at night thinking about what I want to get. My latest obsession? A golf cart. :excited:
golf carts are old school you need to go play Tokatee and ride the surf boards, Also did you know they still charge you even if you have your own cart? it's a pain to hook the trailer up and deal with it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I obsess about every toy I buy, and I consider that half the fun. If I finally pull the trigger and buy the obsessed item, I know I've thought it through, it's what I really want, and for the most part, it will be a toy that my heirs will have to figure out how to get rid of. Not every obsession results in a purchase, about half the time, my practical nature kicks in and asks me "where the heck are you going to put/use that?" But once I've made the decision, I know I've bought what I want, and I maintain it because I wanted it. 15 year old Dodge Ram diesel, 25 year old Willies Asaltor (even a 26 year old Honda riding mower). Obsession helps you prize your possessions, because you know what you had to put into them.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I wanted 2004 toyota double cab so bad, I shopped until it i got 500 over invoice. Took a lot of leg work but had the transaction all done before arriving on the lot to sign paperwork. Saved over 10K. you can buy a lot of salad for 10K.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, the obsession continues with a sequel...

If you're a car buff and don't know anything about the 2005 Corolla XRS 2ZZ-GE / C60 transmission combination, you should check it out.

This car is fun to drive!!

But the coolest part of my obsession is this:

It has all manner of original documentation in the glove box, including business cards from Ron Tonkin and a "Certified Used Car Warranty" card at 15k miles w/ the buyer's name on it, dated in December, 2006. I'm tempted to attempt contact and probably should.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
When I was in college I had a good part time job and plenty of cash for a kid. My college buddy and I would pour over car magazines obsessing over the muscle cars that were being produced in those years. As luck would have it his brother in law owned a GM dealership in Coos Bay and agreed to sell us cars at cost. I opted for a 442 and got one for $3000.
I missed this...

White Oldsmobile, 442 w/ gold stripping? Convertible? Man! Those were the bomb in the day! Luxury and air conditioning and HP to boot! Today, I might opt for that over an LS6 Chevelle... though I'm a Chevy fan.

I wanna hear more...

What happened to it?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not a car or boat but... a Holland & Holland Royal I have came across. Still haven’t decided whether to just buy it or not 🤦🏻*♂

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wait for it...
Probably shouldn't publicize it. But the papers in the glove indicated this Corolla was previously suedo-owned by a radio personality (KGON) whose name most would immediately recognize.

This afternoon at lunch we met and, bless her soul, she autographed my original warranty paperwork (on which also appears the VIN#), "Love the Silver Bullet!! ... I.H."

Didn't know the car has a nick-name.

·
Registered
24,312 Posts
My son is working on 2nd home and a car purchase at the same time right now. I keep telling him $3k for transportation is no big deal... drive it and ... Git 'er done!

Meanwhile, I'm fighting with my bro's Suburban and a 1992 Integra I bought last year. It should be a minor problem and an easy fix. But, it's electrical and I can't pin it down (yet). YouTube and blogs aren't helping. It runs great out of the driveway. But, shut it off at the fuel station two miles down the road and the tranny kills the ignition or vice versa. Sick of it...

Went shopping and found something I really like immediately. Now, I'm obsessed too, again ... :doh:
Trans electronics. The ignition in gear lock out runs through them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
"She" , IH, is retired now:whistle:
You hit a big one here in portlandia
Interesting:applause:
Yup, the voice we've known since high school. Still phasing out. By the end of the year. I was nervous at first. Not sure why. Was fun to say 'howdy.'

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Regardless... You think about it constantly... right.

Then you pull the trigger and only realize later ... It's a 'hole in the water' you throw money into.
Why?
Not so much that you wanted it.
But you didn't know what you were getting into.
Car or boat, it's the same.
Or am I missing something?
I'll put this here... now...
Later, I'll post the 1970 Nova and 2005 Corolla XRS pics with many words... (to justify the format migration)
Don't use that other word... or, we'll have words...

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Yes every boat I buy to flip my mind says are you going to pay too much, are you going to make a buck, what problems will you unearth, is it worth the trouble. So after many flips it boils down to this because of Covid. I don't care anymore if I make a buck or lose a buck. Being retired and no big water to fish because of Washington regulations and weather it becomes a struggle to stay busy. The boat flip is one way to keep busy. However with the way fishing is going I decided to look for 15 or 16 foot boat that needed nothing to fix, just add fishing gear and go fish the lakes. I found her this week and tentatively have a deal. its the end of my boat flipping for now, that is until this guy sells me his 21 footer hopefully soon it has not been used since 2015. Look out Kokanee here comes the crazy Fin.

Reactions: IIonPilgrimg

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I’ve never thought of a vehicle as a money pit. Fill them with fuel, change oil and filter regularly, tranny service, battery every few years, a new belt every 50,000. The key to cheaply maintaining a vehicle or house for that matter is to not pay someone else to do the work you can do yourself. My boat has not been a money pit, just one easy fix last year plus a three year service.

If you want to see a money pit, buy a good hunting dog and hunt the hell out of it. They can empty your wallet real easy.
Agree with the dogs being a money pit, and I've multiplied that by 3, but I wouldn't have it any other way. They're just family members so no obsession at all.

As far as cars, trucks, boats, and RVs, once I've made up my mind about what I want, I only obsess about how much I'm paying for it. If I buy it at a decent price and tire of it, I can always sell it without losing much money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't know if I obsess or if I'm just critical about the items I purchase. Spent over a year looking for my truck. Hard to find an older stock CC Ford Diesel that isn't a logging crummy. Looked at many but made the decision quickly when I found the one. Same with buying a camper, looked at many but bought mine on the spot. We are at the point where we can purge many of the kids big plastic toys that are filling up the garage and backyard. Love hauling that stuff to Goodwill. So nice to not have to move tons of stuff to get vehicles out of the garage or to access yard equipment. As far a my "toys", gets to a point where you spend more time working and cleaning them than you do using them. Like keeping it simple...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Reply / Quote / Like ... Save / Share...
Not sure what those mean, try as I might to click them and figure it out (given the new format). Many seem to do nothing productive, which is worrisome...

I do like these quotes...
"So nice to not have to move tons of stuff to get vehicles out of the garage or to access yard equipment."
(So me!) and this one...
"cars, trucks, boats, and RVs, once I've made up my mind about what I want, I only obsess about how much..."
(So me!) and this one...
"...decided to look for 15 or 16 foot boat that needed nothing to fix, just add fishing gear and go fish the lakes. I found her this week and tentatively have a deal. its the end of my boat flipping for now, that is until this guy sells me his 21 footer hopefully soon..."
(So me!)

(If you don't read the entire thread, you won't get it... We're all O.C.)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Meanwhile, I'm fighting with ... a 1992 Integra I bought last year. It should be a minor problem and an easy fix. But, it's electrical and I can't pin it down (yet). YouTube and blogs aren't helping. It runs great out of the driveway. But, shut it off at the fuel station two miles down the road and the tranny kills the ignition or vice versa. Sick of it...
Went shopping and found something I really like immediately. Now, I'm obsessed too, again ... :doh:
Bought the new obsession and sold the old (1992 Integra) to my brother...
He fixed it: My rebuilt starter? Bad rebuild... Replaced and works perfectly... Now I want it back!
(Retitle the thread: O.C. Anonymous)

·
Registered
25 Posts
For years after purchasing my first new 4x4 I had repeated nightmares of the rig being stolen, and later finding it striped and up on blocks in a bad part of town.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts