IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless... You think about it constantly... right.

Then you pull the trigger and only realize later ... It's a 'hole in the water' you throw money into.

Why?

Not so much that you wanted it.

But you didn't know what you were getting into.

Car or boat, it's the same.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes and no. If you walk into it with the knowledge you are just throwing your money into the big water hole, and still can enjoy yourself, well might be worth the obsessing. In retirement it is easier as you have time to play.

I have been averaging 100-150 hours a year of meter time and probably 4 time that just being fishing and no motor running. If you can put that many hours on the boat it is worth the hole....at least to me. Good topic

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
I remember obsessing about buying a 5 bedroom house with a pool and spa. Spent over a 1/4 million. A home I could barely afford 16 years ago. :whistle: Time fixes everything. When I buy a new toy or go on vacation the rule(my wife came up with) is that I have to put an = amount into savings which cools her heals- no more obsessing. Save baby save is my motto!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have not reached the point that I am dissatisfied with my dory. It is still new enough that things aren't starting to wear out and I am trying to stay on top of it. I don't spend near enough time on it, though. But, it's paid for, and should last a lifetime. For what I paid for it, it should hold it's value for quite some time provided I keep up on maintenance.

The drift boat, on the other hand... it is just taking up space in the garage. But, again, it'll last forever. I go back and forth about selling it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
cars are a necessity, you really can't live without one. Boats on the other hand are a luxury item, just like an RV or any other toy and they rapidly depreciate in value once you bring them home (cars do too but you have to have one). My question is always the price of fun. If you want to go fishing you need a boat. What is the cheapest way to access a boat? Rent, go with a guide, go in with a friend, or own your own? The best answer to the question is based on use. We rented RV's until we realized that it is something we really enjoy and that owning one and dealing with the depreciation was cheaper than renting. Looked at cost per night and made the purchase. If you use the boat enough it could be cheaper than renting, me I only fish for salmon a few times per year and probably wouldn't go many more times if I owned a boat so I go with a guide or give a buddy cash for gas when I get invited along.

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
I’ve never thought of a vehicle as a money pit. Fill them with fuel, change oil and filter regularly, tranny service, battery every few years, a new belt every 50,000. The key to cheaply maintaining a vehicle or house for that matter is to not pay someone else to do the work you can do yourself. My boat has not been a money pit, just one easy fix last year plus a three year service.

If you want to see a money pit, buy a good hunting dog and hunt the hell out of it. They can empty your wallet real easy.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
There is a learning curve to becoming an educated buyer... sorting through data, gathering anecdotal information, developing trusted resources to help with inspections, etc. As a 15-year Realtor, I marvel at how many people extensively research small purchases yet invest so little time in choosing a good Realtor, learning about the market, etc.

And, yet, I made those same mistakes purchasing my used boat. Friends I trust were not available to look at it with me and, instead of hitting pause, I pulled the trigger. 5 years later, it has turned out to be a reliable, fabulous, fish-catching, family fun boat... all it took was a new fuel tank, rewiring, a few welds... and a new outboard.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Man. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 22-24’ boat two years ago, so much that I could taste it. I did so much research, as well as crawling in and under each of the models I was interested in.

When I finally had enough money to buy, I couldn’t do it. Just made me sick to think about it! I sat on the money for a while to see if my mind would change. Nope. Just couldn’t justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My son is working on 2nd home and a car purchase at the same time right now. I keep telling him $3k for transportation is no big deal... drive it and ... Git 'er done!

Meanwhile, I'm fighting with my bro's Suburban and a 1992 Integra I bought last year. It should be a minor problem and an easy fix. But, it's electrical and I can't pin it down (yet). YouTube and blogs aren't helping. It runs great out of the driveway. But, shut it off at the fuel station two miles down the road and the tranny kills the ignition or vice versa. Sick of it...

Went shopping and found something I really like immediately. Now, I'm obsessed too, again ... :doh:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, every boat I have owned was bigger than the last, until a little 14 foot rowboat stole my heart. I can't explain it.
I'm a born and well trained hoarder. Thoughts of downsizing or selling something usually make me sick, although I recently made runs to the dump and the metal recycle, which paid for the dump run. Felt great.

Here's an oldie I love listening to...

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Yer gona die so buy it use and abuse it then use it some more till it don't roll or float then park it in the back 40 where everything else is you promised yer kin when you are called by the lord. Let them sort(part) it all out. They will be rich with your stuff :laugh:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When I was in college I had a good part time job and plenty of cash for a kid. My college buddy and I would pour over car magazines obsessing over the muscle cars that were being produced in those years. As luck would have it his brother in law owned a GM dealership in Coos Bay and agreed to sell us cars at cost. I opted for a 442 and got one for $3000.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So... Here's what all the fuss is about (this time).

Drove clear to The Dalles and back to PDX to buy this at an 82nd Ave lot this afternoon. Recognize it?

Never 'driven-by-wire' before in my life. It's true... where have i been? Hiding. It's a trip! Not sure I like it.

(Oh, my kid pulled the trigger on a Civic LX and the Suburban is perfect... ignition harness to the key tumbler. The Integra still eludes.)

I could rest now, but there's 'shrooms to be harvested.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,626 Posts
Tinman..... Wish I had that little rowboat. I’d spent lots more time in it than my big boat. Love being on the oars.
A rowing slave in the the old Roman galley day's is in your blood. :doh:
Next it'll be in the Italian colosseum as a sadiator. With a wooden leg. :D

And YES. That wherry is a work of art on the sea.
Wouldn't mind taking a turn on the sticks meself. After about a year of PE. :wink:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I obsess about any larger ticket item that I'm considering buying. The more expensive, the more I lay awake at night thinking about what I want to get. My latest obsession? A golf cart. :excited:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts