IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
hell no, especially whe you consider that these fish are much more endangered and difficult to rebound. Not like salmon that will be back in numbers next year. This must have put some kind of dent in the fish stocks there.
GBS

·
Registered
195 Posts
They needed to be sent to jail.... maximum time. Poaching is stealing pure and simple, they were stealing. When the courts figure this out maybe some real sentences will be handed out.

Their attorney tried to explain it away as a cultural thing, and that the caviar was not high quality, yeah right. It was money plain and simple.

This is just further evidence of a cavalier attitude about game law inforcement by the courts.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Penalties for this sort of thing need to be serious enough to be a deterrent.
This doesn't seem even close. :mad:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Community service....Suspended sentence....Blah, Blah, Blah.

You used to have to use horses to pull the sturgeon out of the river that I grew up on.

Now, they're all gone. :depressed:

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Now I am chapped :mad: :mad:

I know a lot of expensive manhours went into the investigation to catch these bottom dwellers and prove it in a court, and then the penalty doesnt even come close to the crime.

They will be back to work next week with a new name. :hoboy: What happened to all the money they made from the eggs they sold. :shrug:

20 years of hard labor busting rocks with hammers, cutting off their arms at the shoulder, deporting removed limbs to the bottom of the river to feed the sturgeon would maybe get them close to even in my book with society.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree way to too easy on them. I can't help but wonder what the sentence would of been if the had been white anglo american citizens. Ummm iggnorance is no excuse or something like that.
And I to have a c note that says they'll be back at it in less than 30 days

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know the names and contact information for the judge, prosecuters and other involved parties that need to hear our disgust over how this was handled?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
We're always happy when we take any poachers out of circulation," said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. "This was a very long and exhaustive case. We put a lot of time and resources into it."
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">With those penalties it won't be long before they are back "in circulation". :mad:

DEPORT THEM or let them think about it for a couple years while they are sitting in a cell.

·
Registered
371 Posts
THAT DISGUSTS ME~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what did they learn what did that teach others?? my god our justice system just plain sucks all that wasted money to have them walk away virtually untouched. makes me so mad!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
$50-$100 pound....Just a few weeks locked up...I think I might move to Cal and get into the caviear Bizz. :mad: When you dont enforce the laws the laws become a joke

·
Registered
980 Posts
Some of the best child-raising experts I ever met taught me that a kid's transgression required both appropriate punishmnent for the crime, PLUS restitution: make up to the victim, as best possible, exactly what you took from the victim.

And maybe the two results, in total, will provide appropriate disincentive to keep them from trying THAT again!

This "punishment" doesn't appear to remotely cover either one. How many dollars were gained by the perps? What should be impounded from them? Exactly how much was spent by all those tax-supported agencies on this "long and exhaustive" case?

Not NEARLY enough disincentive -- either to keep them from re-offending OR to discourage any other potential offender who's noticing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts