IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you depend on your GPS for scouting and remembering when and where things are in the woods? I keep contact names and numbers of farmers (who allow me to hunt for big and small game, waterfowl) as well as all pertinent information for hunting and fishing. The first think I do when I go scouting is to make sure I have my GPS. Every rub, wallow and all major game trails get marked. Needless to say, I depend on mine a ton.
This photo hurts:bricks:

After walking down to do some silver fishing with my son, I got back and had a good friend come over for a couple beers and some Elk Video watching. The next morning my son and I were off to do some more scouting of another new area. For some stupid reason I turned my GPS on and set it on the top of my Truck:idea: Well, I completely forgot about the unit until I get on the freeway heading to Washington, when I go around a bend in the road and my son says, "Dad, what is that sound?” I quickly remembered what I did and realized the sound was my GPS rolling down the top of the truck. I looked in the mirror fast enough to see the unit go flying off the truck right into a freighter. The GPS got smacked by several cars and my stomach felt like I got punched by Mike Tyson:sick: I went back later in the day to recover what used to be my most valuable tool.

The stupid thing was that I have not downloaded any of the waypoints or information for the last two years. That means all the days spent in the woods scouting the Cascades, Eastern Oregon, the Coast, and Washington for Deer, Elk, Bear, Cougar and anything else that moves is gone. Some of the spots I can find, but others will not be remembered until I get back to each location.

What did I freaking learn? Never drink the night before you go scouting. Oh, and never put your GPS on top of your car and drive away with it. I will also download all waypoints immediately.

It was definitely the beers fault:jester:

·
Halibut
3,055 Posts
Did you think to yourself... "That's not a good place to put my GPS but I'll remember it..."

I left my cell phone on my car and drove off. Came back after 3 hours and several logging trucks to a smashed phone. Had the sim card backed up though:angel:.

I don't blame the beer. Just too much coffeeeeee that day:smash:.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Looks like you've got a "minor" problem :shocked:. Well my :twocents: is just learn from your mistakes. I bet that you will never do that again. I guess that it just gives you a good excuse to get out in the hills.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Last year wasn't it a friend's kid's layout blind that blew out of the bed of your pickup?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year wasn't it a friend's kid's layout blind that blew out of the bed of your pickup?
Don't even get me started on what has happened to me the last year or two including my broken leg and a broken arm on seperate occasions:pumpkin:

·
Halibut
3,055 Posts
The only gps i have ever used is on top of my shoulders..........
That's the one I always used to use until 2005. (Let's not forget the maps we use in conjunction with our heads.)

Of all things I bought a GPS to hunt pronghorn in open country where distance is difficult to judge. The small topo maps take getting used to.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I sure hope nothing like that ever happens to my GPS, because it's between my ears!!! :bigshock: :eek: :bricks:

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Do you download the data and save it on your home computer? I download all the data from my gps 4-6 times a year to my mapping software on my computer hardware. It works great as a back up, but the primary reason I do it is its much nicer to see and edit the data on a large computer screen.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Oops, sorry for your loss. I've never downloaded my stuff either, I've never checked into what it takes.

Thats a Garmin Etrex Vista, I would recongize that one anywhere.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I'm with you man... I shot a deer a couple years ago, boned it out and put it in my pack. When I got home everything was wet so I laid out all the contents that was under the meat - including my GPS. Someone let the dog (big Siberian Husky) in the garage. He quickly ate the top off the GPS and all my way points, everything from two plus years GONE. My wife said, "Just go buy another one."

I had to explain to her that buying a new GPS was not the issue. I don't want to climb back into these holes to mark the waypoints again!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Ouch! Man that one hurts - I'm sure that information is worth way more than the GPS unit to you. Maybe you can find someone that could read the chip? Just a thought, but there are data recovery services around.

"CL"

·
Banned
945 Posts
Next one you buy, get one with a sd card in it, so the GPS can explode but those little cards are almost bullet proof, and a snap to take in and out to plug into a sd card reader on your computer. I have a couple 1 gig cards for my ifinder.

BTW sorry to hear about your gps, that hurts :(

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
OUCH! Sorry to hear that man! That looks just like my vista cx. Well, hope mine never looks quite like that though. Think i will go save all my info off mine right now!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I actually witnessed a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to one of my contractors when a state truck came by and turned the corner. I noticed something hi-viz green on the top of the truck but didn't think much about it.

About 4 miles down the road, the hi-viz green thing was lying in the middle of the road. Got out and found it to be a waterproof case with a PDA inside of it. Opened up the case and on the back was a sticker "Property of Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife"

Needless to say, someone got their ass chewed when they got back to the office and had to explain to their boss why someone else had their very expensive PDA :smirk:

I've driven off with my $500.00 handheld radio sitting on my truck box, only to look back and see the straps flapping in the wind.

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune but you need to do what I always do now; those items that are near and dear to you, you know where they are and you don't start the rig until you have your hand on them(radio sits on the center counsel at all times now).

From the land of Big Sticks,

Osulogger

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Duct Tape?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sure hope nothing like that ever happens to my GPS, because it's between my ears!!! :bigshock: :eek: :bricks:

The GPS between my head has been know to malfunction a time or two. I think there are a couple wires missing or shorting out:D

Honestly, using a GPS has made me a smarter, more effecient hunter. I do not rely on it for getting me out of trouble, but if I need it then I have it. I mainly use it for marking specific locations and to get an idea of the terrain. It does help when it is dark out and you need to get back to your camp/truck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Man DC; up until this event I would have thought "I'll have what he's drinking"......Going to have to re-consider.

Fortunately my GPS is loosely attached as well:pumpkin:.

Ras

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
what make & model ? You may contact the mfg to see what repair or data recovery is available.

Short of that you may have a chance at data recovery if you could find a used unit, schematic and a geek that is good at PC boards. locating the storage device for all the goodies and replacing it on the board may work - that is assuming the software versions are similar.

Data is probably stored on a serial FLASH - surface mount variety not the consumer plug in type ... don't ask how I know this ..

You may also be lucky enough to get it up enough to download the info ..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts