IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We marked a ton of fish on the graph in the lower river on sat. I can't imagine they were all chinook. I assumed that shad have moved into the lower river. I heard they were over bonny now, so I figure they are in the willamette system too.
Did some of you notice all the activity in the water too? If they were all salmon, they sure thumbed there noses at our offerings.

[ 04-28-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
As of 4/27/03, there are officially only 6 shad over Bonneville. I think the bulk of the run is still coming. :grin:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
GBS-
I marked more fish Saturday morning than I had all season in one of my usual spots so I coulnd't chalk it up to a new spot. Maybe just mother nature trying to keep us on our toes.... :wink:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Greenbuttskunk,

We marked a ton of fish on the graph in the lower rive on sat.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">There was a lot of trash in the water. I know on mine I was marking "fish" like crazy until I turned the gain down and suddenly...no fish...well darned few fish <grin>...which seemed to more accurately match fishing results this weekend.

When you think about it, you shouldn't mark that many Chinook. The beam from the sonar is only about 5 feet across in 30 feet of water. Chances of one swimming under your boat in the sonar beam are pretty slim. If there was really a "cloud" of Chinook it would be like Astoria on a peak day.

If you spot one or two an hour, that would mean there's quite a run going upstream.

Brion

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brion,
You might be right rabbit, you might be.
We did hit areas where there was nothing but clutter, as if the graph was screwed up. We trolled past the floating crane up by swan island and there is some structure down there with some fish about it. Maybe walleye. I was wishin I could have jigged it for a bit.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
Hi GBS,

Yes, we noticed the same thing Friday afternoon in the Columbia.

With the ff's gain turned down we'd see these schools come by at 8' to 12'. From their small size we figured they were shad. We put a couple DickNite lures out for a few minutes but no takers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I spent 21 years working woth sonar for the USN and 35 years using fishing sonars. River use of any sonar wll give false readings..the current its self causes little air bubbles, sand, leaves, different water temps, wirlpools etc all well show up on your sonar as a swarm of small fish. tribitity is what its called and it happens in streams and rivers more then in lakes/ocean.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Spring Chinook smolts are heading downstream this time of year. I hooked a few on dick nites up on the Clackamas yesterday. I wonder if that could've been some of what you guys saw? :whazzup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts