IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon we will put a tiller on the new to me sled. When we do this, I will place the battery under the front seat. I will pull the floor out to do this and install new battery cables. I am thinking of Diamond Plate for the new floor, but it is too bright for my tastes.
My Q is this: Is there an acid wash that I can use to dull the finish a bit? I like the utility of it, but terminal sunglasses are not my thing.I don't really want to use a wire wheel on a drill. But if I can do something fairly easy, that is not too time consuming, that would be great.

If not, it is back to clunky black floors for me.

Thanks.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You can go to your local auto parts store and pickup some acid cleaner for aluminum wheels without clear coat. Spray it on and it will leave it clean but hazy and not shiny.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Phosphoric.

How about shooting it with some clear paint with just enough pigment added to scatter some light and cut down on the reflection.

:smile:

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Flatfish,
I have a gallon of aluminum acid wash at home I'm not going to use. I bought it to clean my driftboat with but it really dulls the finish. I'll make you a good deal on it if you'ld like it.

Jk

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Just throw a couple of shad down there and you and the dog have a wrestling match!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Gary and Maxine the fish eating but not smoked shad wonder dog

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can purchase diamond plate in a dull finish. Unfortuantely the dull finish is usually thicker and more expensive.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Trollin is correct a couple of trips out by Astoris and it will have a duller finish. It dosn't take too long in fresh water also. Go with the diamond plate alum. it washes down nice won't rot and looks cool.

Tight lines to ya all HOGGEM'IN

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought a new Wille DB that has diamond plating in it. BRIGHT!! It was pretty intense. The rep at Willie said to mix half water have vinegar and spray it down and the super shinyness goes away.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
After a few months it will dull up and then you will want to make it pretty again.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Flatfish
Just spray it down with some bleach let sit for a little while and rinse off. Wala dull finish. Or take me and Get Bit to the Dechutes and let us climb in and out with sand/gravel on our boots for a couple of days steelhead fishing. Both work every time. If you need some help let me know, I have done it a few times.

Rauly

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've seen some truck boxes made out of gunmetal grey colored diamond plate. I'm not sure if you can buy it by the sheet for the same price, but it looks great and would give you the finish you are looking for without making the shiny stuff just look dirty. I'd call an aluminum supply shop and ask them if it's available.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
diamond plate looks nice but it can get very slipery when wet or with fish slime, a friend of mine just bought the plain alum sheets for the floor and then had line-x spray it to match the interior color it works great just another option :shrug:

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Hey Mark,

You can glass bead blast the shiny diamond plate (not sand/grit blast). It will leave a smooth peened non glare finish. It is kind of what I do for a living (my liscense plate says Blaster for a reason) It is commonly done on stainless steel for the food industry.

We tried it on some sample pieces of Ugly Greens boat and I thought it looked good. Brad decided to grit blast and paint the interior though.

e-mail me and I can hook you up.

GRB

[ 06-04-2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I sure like my black carpet. Nice to go barefoot on these hot days without frying your feet.

And...if you have a pressure washer, you can wash it out, and all the fish blood, and scales in just a couple of minutes, and it will look like new.

I often wonder how that glare off the diamond plate is, on a hot sunny day. Ugh

Just my opinion.

Mark :blush:

G

·
These inter-locking deck tiles are tuff, non-skid, easy to install to size and to remove for cleaning. Have it in my rear deck fishing area and bow. My flooring is still brand new underneath. Water does not collect and easy to hose out or rinse after a fish.

Worth every penny.

Non-Skid Boat Decking

Rick

[ 06-04-2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you know anyone with an air compressor and a die grinder you could use a scotch brite wheel to buff it to a duller finish.
Would only take a couple minutes.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
****** has a great idea.... I was gonig to replace mine with black diamond plate this summer.....I like the deck tiles though....there is another thing I have to have.. jeez,,, it never ends........ :grin:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've had those soft ones in mine, but after seeing the others (nice big pic Nook) I too must them.

P.S.
Don't quote me on this, but I think somewhere around 72 UFO's have actually been sighted as crashing in and around areas where driftboats with diamond plating are fishing.

---D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts