IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this in case anyone is heading there over the next few day or for the 4th.

Associated Press

Visitors to Diamond Lake will not be allowed to swim, waterski or wade in the lake starting Tuesday because a toxic, blue-green algae has bloomed in the water.

The lake, in the Umpqua National Forest and north of Crater Lake National Park, is usually packed during the Fourth of July weekend, said Cheryl Walters, spokeswoman for the forest.

She said the owners of Diamond Lake Resort would set up a small swimming pool for vacationers and swimming and boating are still permitted on nearby lakes.

Walters said the lake has closed because of the algae the past two years, but usually not until late July or August. The algae can cause burning eyes, itchy skin and flu-like symptoms, she said.

"We think the heat caused this earlier bloom," she said.

[ 06-30-2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The heat may have caused the bloom to appear sooner than in past years...but the cause of the algae problem is the tui chub infestation...millions if not billions of 2" chubs eat up all the insects and other invertebrates...which used to graze on the algae.

In 2000, ODFW gave up on efforts to treat the lake with rotenone because of the maze of expensive and overlapping studies required by federal regulations and because of potential lawsuits brought by environmental groups under various federal laws. The lake was successfully treated with rotenone back in 1954 with no adverse effects...and trout fishing was fantastic until the early '90s when the chubs reappeared...probably brought to Diamond Lk for use as live bait...illegal, but it happened.

But now, with a republican :cool: administration in D.C., there is renewed hope of being able to address the problem...or so I understand.

Diamond Lake may live again. :smile:

[ 06-30-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: GutshotApe ]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just great, I was actually going to leave to go there wed morning for the week. I have never been there, now I may not even bother. I hadnt really planed on actually putting myself in the lake to do any of the mentioned. Not that I expected the fishing to be that great but how do you expect this will affect the fishing?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I think ODFW has been stocking the lake with keeper-size trout and some "trophy" trout...but the fish actually lose weight due to lack of insect life...the chubs eat all the food. I also heard they were trying landlocked chinook salmon, and also a strain of piscivorous (fish-eating) rainbows from the Klamath system...and people have done OK...

Call the ODFW office in Roseburg for better info.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
OK, I just got off the phone with the Resort. Everything "greenbuttskunk" reported is in effect starting tonight at midnight. Thank you for the heads up Green
!!! The lake is going to be open to boating, canoe's, paddle boats, fishing, just dont submerge yourself in the water :shocked: So your going to have to hang on tight if you hook the big one :grin: Have a safe holiday everyone!!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My family has been going to Diamond Lake every summer for a long time now. Last year, we were somewhat caught up in this algae bloom, but at the beginning of August. We're going to same time this year, so I'm actually glad it's happening now so we won't have to worry about it. Last year the fishing was excellent. We caught about 15 fish 16" or better. Ask the guys at the baitshop where to fish and what to use, they'll tell you, they're nice people. Do 'em a favor and buy something from them, though, I'm sure they're been hit hard from the stupid chub problem.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no sweat, I just read somewhere that somebody was planning on heading over, so I figured I'd give the heads up and possibly save some aggrevation.
What they shuold do is hit Crater lake, head out into the middle and anchor, drop a line to the bottom with some power bait. :shocked: :laugh:
Have fun if you do hit Diamond.

[ 07-01-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I fished Diamond about 2 weeks ago for a period of 4 days. I have fished that lake since about 1988 and cannot believe the devastation the chubs have caused. I found a small area of the lake located in the S/W corner where spring creek comes in, that still affords the opportunity for some decent fishing. The water in this area is clear like the lake water was years ago.

I spoke with an ODFW person at the lake and he told me that we could possibly see a good year of fishing around 2008 :hoboy: If the lake is poisoned out it will not occur any sooner than the fall of 2005 according to the ODFW person. I'm not holding my breath at this point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts