IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one, have owned one, seen one or been in one? Looking for opnions. As aluminums go, how do they compare with others?

ORS

·
Registered
745 Posts
I own one. It works well for me. Not too much of a rocker, has a flat spot in it that tracks well pulling plugs. Not as maneuverable as a Willie with more rocker. I have an electric setup on it and it is the right design for side drifting with an electric as well. When I bought mine he was still selling them out of his house in Veneta so I got a great deal on a boat with many more features that they currently come with but it is still a good deal in my opinion. Realistically unless you are in the boat 3 times per week or more, the differences between how most top brand boats row won't make a big difference to you. I was in Northriver this week and looked at their drift boats. Lots of quality accessories built in, with a fancy aluminum trailer for under $6k on a 17 foot model. That is worth a look. A Willie 17' boat is $4995 but by the time you put what I consider important items on it you are easily in that $6k range. You can always get more on a used boat than new for less $$. This won't be my last drift boat but I can honestly say it has done everything I have asked of it without a problem. He makes a good boat at a very fair price. If you have specific questions about the Diamondback shoot me an email at [email protected]
Bill

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
I was sliding mine into the river recently and Gary says..."hey, where'd yah pick up this old boat?"

I replied that I had bought it new.

It is now 14 and has seen some rough duty.

I like how it rows, tracks great. Not as nimble as a Willie (close) not as heavy as Alumawelds.

Mine's a 16'x54". I like a fish box on the floor, I REALLY like a foot release anchor.

Nothin too sexy. Just a boat. Has served me well. Got mine from Dave when he was building them behind his house. Good value for the features I wanted.

[ 10-31-2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I run Dougs marketing and sales. We both sell them for the same price. I keep a few in stock at Dougs in Woodinville, Wa. It has a slightly longer sweet spot than a Willie. It maintains the 54" length slightly longer. This simply means the boat floats higher and rotates quicker. Pretty hard to tell the difference unless you are an expert and you careful setting up the weight balance in your boat. Most people just toss in their gear and go. They have no idea how their boat is made to row. If you really care about performance you have to be careful with weight balance in loading your boat. They all row pretty good. I have been rowing for over 20 years and ran a white water business for several. Its all about price and packages. If you row well you can take them anywhere you have the guts to!
Good luck! Fish On!
TOM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts