IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have relatives that are diabetic that I would like to smoke up some salmon for, but have been unable to find any brines that do not include brown sugar, sugar, etc. Has anyone ever heard of brines that do not include sugar?? :help:

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
I have never tried this, but it is on my to do list. Maybe apple juice instead of water and sugar???

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
To a diabetic, there wouldn't be much difference between apple juice and sugar/water........you're just substituting one sugar (fructose) for another (sucrose).

That being said, I don't think there's anything about smoked fish that a diabetic should be concerned with......even if brined in sugar. Just tell them it's not sugar-free and to adjust their meal accordingly.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I expect you could use nutrasweet. You'd have to do some figgerin' to get the right amount, but it could add the sweetness. However, I'd be surprised if the salmon picks up too much actual sugar from the brine. If there's two grams a piece, I'd be surprised. But Dan is the guy who really knows, I'm just a spectator.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I know a lodge up in Canada that only brines their fish with salt. they were always great!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and ideas!! :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm a diabetic and yes the apple juice would do the same thing as the brown and regular sugar. Just let them know that this is brined in sugar and adjust their insulin dosage as need be. NO ONE should go without smoked fish.
Good luck if you try some other brine and let me know if you do it.
Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
You may want to try a small batch with Splenda. I have a feeling it would taste better than Nutrasweet. I have not tried either but personally like the taste of Splenda better.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and watch my carbs. I smoke my fish with brown sugar in the brine. I just watch how much I eat.

You can always use just salt as well.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I have been diabetic since age 11. I am now older than dirt. I have always used sugar in my brines and would never consider not doing so.

Here is the deal. Diabetics cannot metabolize sugar properly without taking insulin. Insulin metabolizes the sugars that enter the bloodstream from the digestive system.

Diabetics eat carbohydrates just like everyone. Carbohydrate is another way of saying sugar. All carbohydrates ultimately break down into sugar. But, as is being discovered in research these days, not all carbs are created equal.

Simple carbs are absorbed into the bloodstream much more quickly than complex ones. This is a fairly easy concept to understand, from a practical standpoint. If you drink juice or eat raw sugar, it will load into your bloodstream more quickly than if you eat a pressed granola bar.

But another huge factor is what else enters the stomach at the same time. If the stomach has to also digest and absorb Protein (like fish) and fat (like the oils in fish) at the same time carbs are consumed, the absorbtion of the simple sugar slows down.

I wrote all of the above because people get very confused about diabetics and sugar. Diabetics often need simple sugars to raise their blood sugar because they took insulin but didn't eat enough carbohydrates. In normal people only as much insulin is relaesed as is needed. But in the case of a diabetic who takes an insulin shot, sometime after that (depending on the type of insulin) there is a peak effect of the drug. If enough carbs haven't been consumed, hypoglyciemia can occur. That, my friends, is a really lousy feeling that in extreme cases can result in the loss of conciouness and convulsions. In those cases, treating a diabetic with sugar will raise the bloodsugar by counteracting the insulin overdose.

Confused yet? Sorry. Here is the point. In the case of smoked fish, even though the brine is a simple carb (sugar, the simplest form), the protein in the fish is much more prevalent than the small amount of sugar on the piece of smoked salmon. Adjusting the insulin dosage or the carb count, (those who are really close to and/or diabetic know what I mean here), the sugar in brine is not an issue...

Hope that helps. Email me for more information if you are interested in learning more...

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am diabetic and i love smoked fish. I use brown sugar in my brine. Doe's not seem to bother me unless i pig out (eat a lb or more)so i just watch the amount and iam ok. I tried using the phony brown sugar and it was not good at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts