IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just stocked Breitenbush and Upper santiam so we stayed closer to the dam in the early morning. Tried to hook into a Kokanee but all I managed was a nice boon and crocket stick! My fishing cohorts with me got a little bored and I decided to go catch some easy ones. We motored up the santiam arm and put out a few plunker lines with power bait. I would say it took about 5 minutes for our first fish to the boat. We played catch and release for about 1.5 hours and then called it a morning and headed back to go wakeboarding. All told probably 20 stocker specials to the boat. Kept the biggest couple for breakfast.

A good weekend overall except for the harrasment(sp?) in the evening at the detroit lake state park by the OSP officer on duty. Not going to go back there. There are many other campgrounds on the lake that will gladly take my money, without treating me like a 3 yr. old

FOD

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
What kind of harrassment? I've camped at Detroit a few times and never have had a problem?

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
C & R with PowerBait?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Chinook
Member # 3203

posted 07-28-2003 04:43 PM

C & R with PowerBait?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Why would that matter with stocked fish? Just asking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
alot of people on this site sure ride the high horse alot.i wish i could fly the bird on this site. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Just curious about the technique. I've found that if I use a big enough hook the fish will more often get hooked in the lip, and can be released unharmed.

I've never had much luck w/ PowerBait, I don't know if they suck it down like a worm.

My philosophy is "hatchery fish must die" - but not to the point of wasting them.

I didn't connect with any kokanee the last time I was at Detroit either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by lost_sailor:
C & R with PowerBait?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I take a decent sized treble hook (Not sure the exact size), cut off one of the hooks and crush the barbs with a pliers. This way it is easy to remove from the fish and it holds a nice pyramid shaped hunk of power bait. most of the fish we got to the boat were hooked in the mouth and could be released in the lake without bringing them into the boat, one or two managed to get the hook a little further down. one of the two we kept managed to swallow the whole darn thing so he became breakfast.

That is how I set up for C&R with powerbait. Kind of a pain in the butt process but it seems to keep the fish intact and with minimal damage and maximum enjoyment.

FOD

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by jokester:
What kind of harrassment? I've camped at Detroit a few times and never have had a problem?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The harrasment was pretty bad this year. We were out on the water til dark 9:30-10:00 or so. We had some friends up visiting for the day and we were coming in to get some dinner, when we got back to camp they left a note on their car that all visitors had to be out by 10pm. we figured we would get dinner and they would go. To our surprise the OSP officer meant they had to be gone. He wasn't going to let them stay, he threatened a citation, and eviction. Now we are all adults and none of us was aware that they ran the park like an ICU ward.
After they decided to leave we were all B.S'ing around the campfire.....same story every 5-10 min. here comes the "head nurse" to send us to bed. I admit we were not being silent, we were visiting and laughing. I get to see some of these people at this annual campout every year and that is pretty much it. Needless to say I was not impressed with the way that they handled either situation and won't be giving them any of my money in the future. As I said there are many other campgrounds on the lake.

FOD

·
Registered
353 Posts
on the opposite side of the coin, there are alot of people in that camp ground and rules must apply to all to keep order. If they manage on a case by case basis this would cause alot of problems. When I was younger and partied alot we would stay @ the far end of the lake. people up there are used to a little more activity and more tolerent of noise levels.

The KOAs are run the same way. I can't remember a time that the KOA KOPS didn't shut me and my wife and kids down. We were playing uno and laughing a bit @ 10:15 p.m. :shocked: Just know that if you want to stay up and visit the state park is not the place to be.

Party on :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Wow. Sounds like the OSP officer and the head nurse
woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning! :grin: Never ran into any problems like that at Detroit before. Sounds like you got the bad apple! :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts