IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to take my son camping at Detroit Lake in May. I will be towing up a 19' boat and would like a camp site along the lake where we could moore the boat adjacent to where we camp.

can anyone suggest a good camp site?

What tackle / techniques are productive ?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The campground at Hoover is pretty good. Also the State Park. You can put in on either side. I am mostly a bankie up there, but trolling kokanee killers, and ford fenders on the south side of the Island have produced pretty well. I see alot of boats out neat the Dam. Good luck. If you plan on the state park, you may want to get reservations now. It gets pretty full. Hoover is first come first served.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
The south shore is more my style, but the state park has docks - get your reservations in.

One option is to put all your gear in the boat and find your own spot.

Fishing is no secret. Troll (Ford Fender, School o' Minnows, etc.) 2-3' of leader, 1/2 a nightcrawler - - along the south shore of the island, or along the south shore at the bottom end of the island, or elsewhere. If you find a good spot, it's fun to just drift with only a worm and a hook, or a shrimp fly ...

Ford Fender is the key to kokanee, add corn or Pautzke for variety.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Load up your gear and camp on the island 99% of the time you will be alone this time of the year out there.

We troll small silver spinners and wobblers, flicker spinners and triple teasers and the like around the island and in the Kenny Creek arm up by the dam. If the trolling doesn't work we will also find the on the sounder and jig in the Kenny Creek arm as well. All depending on the water level. Be sure to take your warm clothes and rain gear with you and remember the most important thing is to have fun.

·
Registered
353 Posts
how about downriggers? What set up would one use to get @ the fish. I got my dr last summer and have used them abit but not at detroit any help appreciated. :help:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Find were the fish are suspending and then set your depth to be 3 to 5 feet above them and run SLOW this time of year. This depth charteing and pulling the small spinners and wobblers like mentioned above has done well for us. Play with your release clips a little before you send them down. You need to find out were the best spot on the clip is to pinch your line. If it is to deep in the clip the fish will not be able to pull the release and if it is to shallow in the clip the line drag in the water will keep pulling it out before the fish even have a chance. Remember that every single clip is different. When the fish hits don't set the hook or you will rip their lips off. The clip release will do all the hook setting for you. Remember SLOW SLOW SLOW. If the spinners and hardware don't do well for you try bait it's not our favorite but perhaps it will work better for you than it has for us. Don't be afraid to try every thing that you have sometimes the last thing you try is the ticket and contrary to what some say the same thing time after time does not always work. I say small hardware because that has been the best producer for us over the years. Good Luck and have FUN.

Sled

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have had good luck on both sides of the island, up the N. Santiam arm and blowout creek. When you go up the Santiam, troll from just outside the "no wake" bouys to just past the boat dock. It starts getting shallow after that. Plus, for me the bites slow down after the dock.
Like everyone else has said, slow has been a key for me.
My best luck has been with flashers, green wedding ring with half a nightcrawler on the end. I have had good luck being real close (hugging the shore) or farther away from the island. I put all my kids poles out at different depths and adjust when I start seeing a pattern. That should get you into the trout for sure.
I am still trying to figure out how to catch the Koke's up there. :whazzup:
Can't tell you much about camping up there. The island shure does look fun though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is not a popular subject on this board but since I have to go there every year maybe I can help.
Trout: The best bankers can do is Powerbait off the fishing docks or shore. Troll with worm pieces on something flashy.
Kokanee: Trolling slow with hardware and wedding rings, dodgers and feathers, or really small spoons is better with Green Giant white corn on the hook. You can scent some of it with anise or egg if it makes you feel better.
Chinook: There are some 2-3 pounders in there but most are barely over 1 pound and nearly 20 inches. The salmon run deeper except across the lake from Mongold near the far shore. You can catch all three on the same stuff.
I'll be there for one of two traditional trips. If you see a boat with an Ifish sticker on the stern say hello. :smile:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Detroit Lake is a great place to fish all-year-round. May isn't too busy..... EXCEPT for the Detroit Annual Fishing Derby. It is usually the third weekend in May. You can get more information from their website. http://www.detroitlakeoregon.org On derby weekend you may have a few neighbors out on the island. If you are interested in a hot shower and flush toilets.... Grab a site at the state park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts