IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havenever fished Detroit Lake, but heard it was fairly good this time of year.

I would appreciate any tips on the "wheres" and the "hows"...where to launch...fish..techniques etc.

I have a 16' sled with plenty of fuel!!

Any help will, as usual, be most appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
The only problem with the low-water ramp is the water can be shallow, depending on just how low the lake is. Yes, fishing can be quite good this time of year.

Fish on the south side of the island ... as always. Or up the Santiam arm where some water is flowing in.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I drove by sat. It's low, but at a standard low level as it is this time of year, I'd say if fishable and launching should be possible. Standard trolling gear, willow leaf trolling set ups like luhr jensen sells, wedding ring spinners tipped with worms, apex, small spoons, or anchor in a cove and toss power bait. Watch out in the shallows for all the stumps, you'll see what I mean when you get to the lake, alot are exposed this time of year.
Good luck!
GBS

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you're banking it, try nighcrawlers on the bottom. Many of the holdovers eat crawdads off the bottom, and will be looking there for food.

happybrew

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what you mean by "hardball" all the way to the water?

Also, can you provide me with the number to call Detroit Lake?

Thanks to all for the posts!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hardball= asphalt

Number: 503-854-3406 (local from Salem): Open until 4:30 M-F

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Grits. That is a BIG help!

Gary

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well I can tell you this. I was up there on Saturday. I did not fish but I can tell you that they have let alot of the water out for the winter so its low. I didnt drive by the Mongold launch but if I remeber right its pretty muddy putting in there and you may need 4 wheel drive to put in and take out. If I were to go out there right now I would look for the points off the bank and fish them fairly deep. I am sure there are others here that have fished it this time of the year from a boat and may have better advice. Good luck if you get out and let us know how you do!!
Rainrshine :cheers:

·
Registered
16,467 Posts
I agree with Rain- the res is prob mighty low right now. I haven`t seen it in a while, but last I heard you would have a hard time launching. But it never hurts to look! Good luck. :tongue: Fishft. P.S. You might wanna post to Billsan I imagine he has looked at it recently.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I haven't been there in a few weeks but I would think the lower ramp at Mongold day use would still be usable without a 4 wheel drive.

From Salem drive about 50 miles to Mongold day use area and pay your $3 to get in. The upper launches will be closed but off to the side there should be a long driveway that takes you to the water.

From the launch look across the lake and you will see an island. Head towards it and start fishing 100-200 yards away. Head up the right side of the island. If you catch a fish note where it was and keep fishing. There is a big snag towards the top of the far side of the island that I normally fish to and then turn around. If on your way back you catch fish in the same area you caught ones coming up then start fishing tighter circles around that area. If you don't pick any fish up troll a pattern around the tip of the island closest to the boat ramp.

If that all fails you head for the far shoreline straight over from the boat ramp. Fish that shoreline towards the dam and you will come to an inlet. Fish that inlet. If by now you haven't found fish then you are doing something way wrong.

This time of year start out flat lining one rod at 20-30 pulls, put 1-2 oz on another pole and run it at 25 pulls. If you have a third rod put 2 ozs on and put it at 30-35 pulls. Once you find the fish adjust accordingly.

My set up is the standard set up. Lead, flashers, snubber, wedding ring, worm and white corn (don't forget the corn). I also was turned on to needle fish by trollin4trout and really like them. I run them off a downrigger or run a 4 ft leader from my lead to the needlefish. I use the rainbow trout pattern.

With the lake trolls I try to keep it under 2 mph but with the needlefish I usually try to go between 2 and 2.5 mph.

If you want size over quantity head towards the damn and fish deep 60 plus. Good luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just called Detroit Lake and they said it is hardball all the way to the water using the lower ramp.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'll be glad to let you know next week. I was going to drive up there and give it a try Saturday morning.

Have a great week.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
FYI at Mongold this time of year you are using an old paved access road as a boat ramp. This road most years has a lot of pavement in the water even at very low levels. Just go in the park like normal pay yout $3 parking and at the bottom you'll pass the summer boat ramp.There are no docks on this road. The conrete summer ramps are dry.

Keep going and use the old road as a launch site. Not recommended for you 30' deep draft I/O. My 14' Gregor floats right off. It is a shallow slow drop off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts