IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot more involved than just shooting ducks.

There's a blanket on the couch to protect it from a wet dog. We have 3 of them, so one load of laundry every few days keeps things simple enough. Which is what's in washer right now.

My wife bought me a badass LED headlamp. It's bright enough to see a LOT in the dark rain. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts 1.7 hunts. So make sure you keep battery topped off. Or you will end morning 2 with a Maglight in your mouth.

I run 2 wooden calls. If you have any experience with a wood call, you learn they like to be a particular amount of wet to be in their sweet spot....., but not too wet. When they are in the happy place, there's nothing that sounds as good. I get 3 hunts on dry days before they need to dry out a little (Put them on heat register vent in office for 24 hours). Or one day when it's rainy. Corks are replaced every month or so on Cocobolo call. Hedge call is a little less sensitive to cork squish. Acrylic gets new cork mid season- if it starts to go flat. Some folks soak their corks. Might look into that in off season.

There's burlap in a constant state of drying draped over everything in the garage.

The blind bag had a little trail mix spill in it a few weeks ago. The peanuts got kinda fuzzy. Think they were germinating. Cleaned out blind bag for first time ever. Kinda ookey. Lotsa hand sanitizer wipes. It looks less horrible now.

Running out of shells now. Trying to go thru all the old stash stuff. Remchester loads from 90s & early 2000s still work pretty good IF you kept them dry. If case heads get very rusty....not as good). . Had a couple misfires, where the wad and shot goes "bloop" out of the barrel and land in decoys. And a few failures to extract/eject in guns that are ultra reliable. All with rusty case heads.....So long as I pay attention, it's been an ok stop gap (Insert warnings here on bore obstructions). Last box is Winchester 3" mags from Dad. Probably 10 years old. Dunno if they were waterproofed. Will know soon. The good news is, I'll have more shelf space for new shells once ammo hoarding craze ends.

Every day, I look at windfinder, weather reports (Local and regional), the desktop weather station, river levels, tide forecasts, etc. Plus a few text strings and phone calls. Tomorrow looks warm and calm fwiw. If water drops much more, may need to make adjustment.

Propane bottles, hand warmers, coffee and dog treats need a weekly refresher. Bi Mart run today.

There's feathers everywhere. Of course in the garage, where birds get cleaned. But they kinda appear in funny places (I think they are funny) like the shower, keyboard on computer, in the fridge (Got that one asap before anyone else in the house saw it). One made it into a smoke detector in hallway. Kinda made me think of scene from Forrest Gump.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I can relate to ammo getting wet and being duds. Had one blow up my A400 this year sadly...Gun was so good that it ejects a shell that had no horse power and put a new one in...of course the second shell worked great.

...and feathers everywhere...I literally just vacuumed off my back deck...Was hoping the wind would blow them away...the misses got after me on it after a couple days haha.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

There's a blanket on the couch to protect it from a wet dog. We have 3 of them, so one load of laundry every few days keeps things simple enough. Which is what's in washer right now.

My wife bought me a badass LED headlamp. It's bright enough to see a LOT in the dark rain. It has a rechargeable battery that lasts 1.7 hunts. So make sure you keep battery topped off. Or you will end morning 2 with a Maglight in your mouth.

I run 2 wooden calls. If you have any experience with a wood call, you learn they like to be a particular amount of wet to be in their sweet spot....., but not too wet. When they are in the happy place, there's nothing that sounds as good. I get 3 hunts on dry days before they need to dry out a little (Put them on heat register vent in office for 24 hours). Or one day when it's rainy. Corks are replaced every month or so on Cocobolo call. Hedge call is a little less sensitive to cork squish. Acrylic gets new cork mid season- if it starts to go flat. Some folks soak their corks. Might look into that in off season.

There's burlap in a constant state of drying draped over everything in the garage.

The blind bag had a little trail mix spill in it a few weeks ago. The peanuts got kinda fuzzy. Think they were germinating. Cleaned out blind bag for first time ever. Kinda ookey. Lotsa hand sanitizer wipes. It looks less horrible now.

Running out of shells now. Trying to go thru all the old stash stuff. Remchester loads from 90s & early 2000s still work pretty good IF you kept them dry. If case heads get very rusty....not as good). . Had a couple misfires, where the wad and shot goes "bloop" out of the barrel and land in decoys. And a few failures to extract/eject in guns that are ultra reliable. All with rusty case heads.....So long as I pay attention, it's been an ok stop gap (Insert warnings here on bore obstructions). Last box is Winchester 3" mags from Dad. Probably 10 years old. Dunno if they were waterproofed. Will know soon. The good news is, I'll have more shelf space for new shells once ammo hoarding craze ends.

Every day, I look at windfinder, weather reports (Local and regional), the desktop weather station, river levels, tide forecasts, etc. Plus a few text strings and phone calls. Tomorrow looks warm and calm fwiw. If water drops much more, may need to make adjustment.

Propane bottles, hand warmers, coffee and dog treats need a weekly refresher. Bi Mart run today.

There's feathers everywhere. Of course in the garage, where birds get cleaned. But they kinda appear in funny places (I think they are funny) like the shower, keyboard on computer, in the fridge (Got that one asap before anyone else in the house saw it). One made it into a smoke detector in hallway. Kinda made me think of scene from Forrest Gump.
I’ve gone through numerous cheap headlamps over the years. Three summers ago at a company golf tournament I won a real nice rechargeable one like you mentioned. World of difference! Mine also telescopes in and out so I can manipulate the light itself. Now all the cheapo’s are backups.

·
Registered
686 Posts

[/QUO
Sounds like the same story in our house, Charlie my Lab gets tired of 4 or 5 baths a week..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I always enjoy these posts by you Flatfish. My feathers everywhere story is while I was getting an oil change a few years back. Guy pulls out the air filter and looks at me? Oh yeah, a drake mallard lifted his head up when he thought he was sneaking across a 4 lane highway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Had flooding last week up here near Chehalis. Water came up fast and had to decide between sandbagging business and rescuing decoy bag from blind. I spent last week scrounging every sporting good dealer between here and Seattle to put together a set of decoys and bag. Dug out layout blind that rats had chewed holes and ****ed all over. Then I get a text from landowner he found my bag hung up in tree line. Great news and way more gear to eventually get put away in about May or June.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts