IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are kayaker's and pontooners (with boater's pass) allowed to put in at pullouts along the lower Deschutes, or are you required to use a ramp?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Jump in anywhere there isnt a lot of poison oak! its easier access at campgrounds along the river. where were you thinkin?

Are kayaker's and pontooners (with boater's pass) allowed to put in at pullouts along the lower Deschutes, or are you required to use a ramp?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If you are refering to the question on the boaters pass, dont sweat it. I think everything from Maupin Downriver is in the same zone, and not often sold out, like upriver near Bend.
when are you headed over?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually fish below Shears. I haven't "tooned" the D in years, but would like to soon. The reason I ask is that I couldn't find the rules online, but as I read them several years ago, it was vague as to whether boaters have to put in at a ramp. I've read on another BB that pontooners are NOT allowed to put in other than at a ramp and I'd like to know if this is legally true, or if certain guides/drift boaters just don't want someone to beat them to their spot?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Although the Maupin area is now under strict law enforcement by more than several agencies, I see people jump in with all sorts of things that float. Including 99 cent vinyl innner tubes with no PFD, and probably no river pass. If you proudly display your pass in a ziplock bag upfront, you wont get much attention other than a look from the binocs, and below Sherars, even less attention. The college age beer party camping crew usually stops around White River campground.

Every inch on this river is a "spot" but in the lowest section boaters are not allowed to stop and fish, only hikers and bikers.

I know if you launch at the mouth, you need a pass to fish around there. If you launch in the big river, you don't.

I usually fish below Shears. I haven't "tooned" the D in years, but would like to soon. The reason I ask is that I couldn't find the rules online, but as I read them several years ago, it was vague as to whether boaters have to put in at a ramp. I've read on another BB that pontooners are NOT allowed to put in other than at a ramp and I'd like to know if this is legally true, or if certain guides/drift boaters just don't want someone to beat them to their spot?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
That particular zone starts at the Locked Gate above Maupin. A lot of the tooners are not buying passes. That has been one of the favorite ticket sources for the authorities. By BLM info, you are supposed to launch at designated launch sites, but like someone said, some jump in anywhere. Personally, there needs to be more sites, especially on the lower section down towards Macs. It would be nice to open the Jones Canyon ramp.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Personally, there needs to be more sites, especially on the lower section down towards Macs. It would be nice to open the Jones Canyon ramp.

:agree: :yeahthat:

I've never understood why they closed that ramp. It was a perfect natural ramp and would have been easy to improve. By closing all of the unimproved ramps the BLM took away the opportunity to do short floats. Some of them needed to go (the one at Rattlesnake CG was on top of a spring), but they gave folks the opportunity to spread out more easily by not all having to pull out at Macks or Beavertail depending on where they put in.

There is a sign at Rattlesnake CG that says "No launching or take out of boats". Same sign is posted at South Junction. I don't think anybody is going to say anything about hauling out a pontoon, but I'd make sure that the BLM folks aren't standing there when I did it.

And of course the spring that came back at Rattlesnake CG is now full of blackberry, mint and thistle, but that's a different thread. Lots of bad weeds going unchecked in the lower canyon.

TF

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By BLM info, you are supposed to launch at designated launch sites
Does someone have the actual language of this rule? That's where I'm confused.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts