IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody plan on fishing the lower river this week? Ive been planning on taking a buddy from Roseburg whos never fished it before! But im guessing the gool ole White River will ruin my plans! If anybody goes down, id love a river report please! Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a buddy that fished the river on 10/3. Said the water was really cloudy. He had a couple of good hits in rattlesnake but never hooked a fish. Saw a jack taken, but never talked to anybody that hooked a steelie. :shrug:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Came off the lower river 2 days ago after a 3 day trip. Fishing was and has been very poor. Dont know if this has anything to do with it but, I saw alot of Tribal signs on the freeway exits stating "Fresh Steelhead" for sale? I thought commercial fishing for steelhead was not allowed? I have fished the lower river since 1978 and this it probably my poorest year on record. I wish I had a better report, Good luck.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I just got off a weekender with clients from Macks' to the mouth. Fishing was tough, four guys, 4 hooked, three landed, all on flies. One fish was 37", obviously an Idaho fish.
The White is pumping silt but it is not that bad. If you are chucking lures you will do fine.
Sunday night I was at Heritage waiting for my second boat to come down and the guys on the bottom of the island by the bridge were just whacking the snot out of the fish, saw ten fish landed in under an hour.
That low in the river though you may not be catching Deschutes bound fish for the most part. Many steelhead bound for other rivers pull into the "D" for a refresher, many can be caught all the way up to Warm Springs, lotsa strays in there.
It looked to me that the fish at the mouth are taking the East channel around the island because the anglers were lined up all along that side and were hammering them.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, ill be driving up there on friday to check out the conditions i guess. We will basically be plunking spinners below the falls for both steelies and fall nooks. Hopefully the rain you guys on the west side wont effect the white river too much! We arent seeing the rain here but it sounds like you guys are storming pretty good! I kind of like this sun though! :smile:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody been the last couple days? Im trying to save a trip if the rivers blown. Im guessing it will be ok, since it froze here last night! Anyways, have a good weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts