IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read from odfw that the deschutes is going to be getting a good size run of them this year but how and where do you fish for them? Usually it is single hooks with no bait or even scent? I saw that ZAQ said he killed them there but how and where? Where is the place to fish cause i know you cant fish out of a boat on the river? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I was not fishing for Springers.

People mostly fish for them at the Falls, you can use bait there. The hot bait is a tuna ball under a bobber. Lots of fish come out of there. I saw some guys fishing above the Dalles Dam and below it. One guy was fighting a fish. Are people trolling the mouth of the D for Springers? Might be something to check into as well.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I remember as a kid fishing an area 20-25 miles south of Maupin. One time I recall seeing what had to be salmon briefly breach the surface.Remember the there are no barriers until Pelton Dam.Tributaries that could support a run are Warm Springs River and White River.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cast spinners at the mouth from under the bridge or off the lower end of the island across from the boat ramp and state park. If you boat it, I've caught them with a side planner and plug up river in a couple of spots.

Pat

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've only fished for them at Shears Falls. Two ways to go. Drift fishing or plunking. I perfer plunking in the "big Eddy" South of the bridge on the East side. Start there and explore. Fishing starts now through May. First two weeks in May usually the most productive. This is "combat" fishing so go very early to get a good spot. 4-6 oz lead 30" dropper, 48" leader. Tuna balls with sardines blended in is a killer mixture :wink: Medium sized corky depending on clarity and use glow yarn. Eggs work well too and just check out what every one else is doing.

Remember, fin clipped only.

Have fun. There catching them now!!

Chris

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
>>>I was not fishing for Springers<<<

Gee Zaq, that goofy 14ft rod you whiffle about isn't for Springers???? :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
:shocked:

Guys and gals, I fish there this time of year 90% and eather side of the river is hot, use tuna balls and or sea food delight cat food made into tuna ball style.
I use 20 pound main and drop down from there usually to 17 pound leaders.
some holes 4oz and some 8oz and there are a heck of alot of fisherman there, If you are not on the rocks or holes by 3:30am you may not have a chance of getting one and this sucks as I don't like getting up this early.
West side drift ( BROWNS HOLE ) back bounce eggs tuna or drift. East side the [email protected]@@house hole they drift eggs tuna Next is rouster rock hole Plunking. Next is little eddie plunking eggs tuna Next is big eddie plunken hole tuna eggs and this hole is full way befor day light.
Good Luck Tight Lines, if you need directions e-mail me and I well show you the way frome Portland. Leif Mr.A :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Tuna works pretty well. Eggs are day in and day out a better producer. Most folks on the dry side of the mountains do not have fridges full of fresh eggs. So they use alternative baits like tuna balls.

If you go bring both eggs and tuna. Can't hurt, right?

Mark and the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts