IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Mountain Bikers out there who have set-up their bikes to fish the Deschutes?

I'm in the early stages of set-up on my bike and wanted to get some input from any i-fishers who have.

I've fished with a guide for the last few summers on the lower 7 or so miles. Naturally have seen some bank fisherman on bikes. Have wanted to try and this summer is it.

How have you set-up your bike? What do you take for a days fish?

Also if you have something against those who fish in this fashion...please keep your opinion off this thread...please and thank you.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Bungee cord!

OK, I'm a minimalist.

Above all, keep the monofilament out of the sprockets. At least, that's what I've heard. :cool:

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
It's been a while since I've done it but I used to attach a PVC tube to the cross member of my frame to carry my rods. Carry a small knap sack with the gear you'll need. I would take a small water filter system for drinking water or you may want to consider a small rack over the rear wheel for a small soft sided cooler to carry H2O.

Don't forget the sun screen and keep hydrated.

Good Luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
jzell: It's a blast! I always take the following basic stuff in by big back pack: extra tire inner tube(s), repair kit and pump (those rocks are sharp - repaired two last year alone for 4 trips!) snake bite kit, lots of water, 2 plastic bag big enough for a fish (double them)and a couple of the ice packs that you bend to activate - keeps the fish cool on the way back during the heat.

I've had luck using Michael Jackson Wiggle warts for both the steelhead and released redsides. Not a skilled fly fisherman so I'm no help there.

Hope this helps and post some photos! Hawg

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I fished it for Steelies a few years ago, on my bike. Make sure your headlight works, and wear a helmet. My bro-in-law and I both hit patches of moon dust coming back down, but I lucked out and stayed on my bike. He had a 1 point landing (on his Head :grin: ).

I lashed my rod tube (the kind that takes the rod, broken in half, and reel) to my back pack. Next time I'll duct tape it to the front fork, or use zip-ties. I packed my vest, waders, and wading shoes in my back-pack, with my lunch and water. I always take too much stuff, but in this case I couldn't because my back-pack limited the amount of stuff I could carry.

It's a pretty easy ride going in, and coming back out is a hoot, but be careful. Aside from the holes filled with moon dust, I almost hit a deer on the road.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
At times there's those goat-head thorns on the trail and other sharp nasties, so adding Slime or no-puncture strips to your tires seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you follow these simple rules you will have an enjoyable fishing trip.
1. Bring some boxing gloves. Last year was extremely crowded with rude fisherman.
2.Bike to your spot at 2am
3. A change of clothes (Deschutes is very difficult wading and you will splash down)
4. Drinking water (Average temps around 100 degrees by noon.)

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
Go on a sled day. They cannot stop in all the runs that driftboats can. Less traffic.

Spinners if numbers are the game. Flies if adrenaline matters.

Yeah there are a lot of fisherman there. But a lot of them really have no idea how to fish the D. So, besides them being in your way, they aint gonna catch all the fish. I do my best work behind someone.

Leave the drift gear at home. Fish something that does not require bottom contact. I have never fished a river that has the potential to eat as much tackle as the D.

Plastic worms are bait. Do not ask me how I learned that. I was on the D when I was informed.

Duct tape a rod tube to the frame of the bike. Go up early Friday with camp on a backpack. Pitch the tent on a good run. Be standing in the water before first light.

If someone low holes you, yell at them. The ettiquete over there is different from the coast. If I start at the top of a run, feel free to follow me. Jump in the tailout 50 yards below me, plan on getting yelled at. I was yelled at when I first started there too. You will learn.

Mark and the too old and fat for that anymore dog.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Watch Out For Snakes They Are OUT ON THE REMOTE ROADS.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Mark is dead right about the etiquette (or lack there-of). I did have a bunch (3) of Yay-hoo's low hole me, and some guy just down the river yelled at them. I couldn't help but snicker. Too bad they didn't catch the clue...

Be courteous, and try to be nice when others aren't.

Oh yeah, slime and those no-puncture strips are a great idea!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh yeah, now I remember why I took to the ocean. Don't miss those hic Oryginean loudmouths one bit!

Kind of miss the birds singing though. Those seabirds just don't sing like a meadowlark.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Took a scout group on a bike trip up the east side to the old ranch a couple of years ago. 14 boys and adults came up with something like 21 flat tires. You REALLY want thornproofs!

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
The lower river is a busy place. especially on weekends. we float in the fall on weekdays. Mostly guides then. Polite place to be. Quiet too. I will do the lower D again. But it will be on a sled weekday. Or better yet, I will go up in a sled and pitch a tent for a few days.

Mark and the thornproof but not snakeproof dog.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you:
lost sailor, pearl, hawgwash, Mojo, Flatfish, garyk, refish89, Mr. A, and Old Coot
for the input.

Made a trip to my local bikeshop today to checkout thornproof innertubes (thicker/heavier than your normal tube) and no-puncture strips which go inside your tire. These two items together will greatly reduce the chance of a flat.

Gonna have fun trickin' out the bike to carry all my stuff. Will get the bike together...tires, racks, light, etc.....then pack it with all that I want to take (all that I think I need) ....test drive it a bit around the neighborhood...and modify as needed.

Any other input / ideas that you want to share..please add to this thread.

Thanks again,

John Zell

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last time I went in on bike I used panniers and the guy I was with pulled a bike trailer. We hauled in a lot of gear. The trailer certainly is more work to pull than the side bags but you can haul a lot of gear.

Also we did have a snake scoot across the road right under our bikes. Watch out for rattlers.

[ 07-04-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: gofishoregon ]

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The lower D isn't that bad. Most of the fly guys stop swinging flies when the sun hits the water... which is fine with me. As for biking...yeah take a patch kit and pump. Take a back real pack with a gunni-sack, put an H2O bladder in with maximum water capacity. If you wait until mid-morning there is no need for waders. Don't be afraid to break the trend and fish with a strike indicator and some lead during the mid-day heat.

If the fishing is slow just enjoy the day around Colorado Rapid. Pretty gnarly little rapid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jzell,

FYI, if you don't want to fly fish, one of the most productive methods on the lower Deschutes for Stealies is a marabou jig and bobber.

Bring a light weight fly rod for trout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts