IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on running the lower deschutes in a week, from the mouth up to macks canyon.i have jetboat that is plenty capable, just would like some advice for a novice whitewater runner, from someone who has run it a few times. thanx forrest :cheers:

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
WamBam,

The best advice I could give you is be very very carefull.

If it was me I would make a number of trips and learn the river from a very experienced boater or hire someone who knows the river very very well to teach you all the little nuances that the Deschutes throws at you..

This is no river for a quote " novice"

My final thought would be...going up river is the easy part. Getting back down is a challenge.

Good luck and be carefull with what ever decision you make.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with Pearl. Hire a guide out of Rufus or Biggs. Some of them will be more than happy to help you out. It might cost you a little but it's cheaper and safer than really getting into a mess.Parts of the river are difficult to read and require some memory from trip to trip.

Steelhead season is just starting though so you may have a tough time finding someone.

Wear your life jackets! It is a blast on the river.

Chris

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Bring an extra pump. I fish with some folks that will run anything. they hire guides to fish the D.

I fish there quite often. It is tough to fish for 2 days without hearing a sled clang into something. I have run it in a drifter enough to know about the sneaker deadheads waiting. Almost impossible to see....

How much does it cost to take your boat in to get fixed? Is that more than a guided trip?

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've run the lower Deschutes many times in my driftboat but wouldn't think of running it in my sled unless I had been up and down it many times with a guide. Hire someone to show you the ropes and take along a camera so you don't forget which way to go. Believe what you read here, the lower D eats sleds if you are not familar with the water. From the mouth to Macks is a long run. I would do it in smaller sections so you won't forget.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Belive what you have been told, Hire a guide If you are a "novice". Your life and boat will thank you.
DAB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts