IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making my annual trip to the lower Deschutes the week of Sept. 21, and want to use a guide one day to see some different water. (I do not fly fish.) Any recommendations on someone who can provide a good trip?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If you want a jet sled trip I would strongly recommend Jack LaFond of Young's Fishing Service.

We used him several weeks ago and caught fish and had a great time. He has one of the better sleds on the river.

Also, I just did a 4 day float from Macks Canyon to the mouth. The White River was belching mud into the Deschutes and it really screwed up the fishing. The water was completely un-fishable in the mornings and would start to green up late afternoon through the evening. By morning it would be blown out again.

Check this out before you go!!!!!!!

[ 09-09-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
215 Posts
I floated Mack’s to the mouth a few weeks ago and the steelheading was VERY slow for us and everyone we talked to. I saw a few guides on the river (was open to jet boats our second day). When we got to the takeout, the fish checker said not too many fish were caught, but one guide did well. He said Bob Toman - <non-sponsor contact information removed> caught 8 natives and 6 hatchery steelhead that day… I don’t know Bob or of his reputation – other than I know he’s been at it a long time. Not sure how he did it, but if I were to pay for a guide, I’d look into going with him just based on his reported success that day. - RSL

[ 09-09-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fished with Bob Toman in Alaska this summer. Great guy and a great guide. Can't go wrong with Bob! He knows more about fishing, boat set-up and lures than anyone I have ever met. He is willing to share his knowledge too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Call Jack Smith of All seasons Guide service @ <non sponsor contact information removed>. If he's booked for that week he might know of his fellow lower river guide buddies that you could check with.

[ 09-09-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Jack and Bob both have been on the Deschutes a lot of years. Both have extremely good reputations and will give you the best day on the water for your money, both will work hard to get you into fish. If you need their number, e-mail me and I'll give it to you. Unfortunatley, to fish with either one of them, you should probably book now for next years annual trip!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
The White river is blown out and the Deschutes is off color, need to fish up high.
That was yesterday but I think it will take a few days to clear as the freezing level just went
to higher elevations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts