IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the lower river on a R&D trip with Mark Anderson of First Cast Jigs yesterday and today. Two days of fishing without WIND :dance: .....those days are rare but we also found some fish! Mark hooked 3 steelhead and one, either steelehad jack or redside. I hooked one on my Spey rod on a steelhead muddler. I at least got see it before it spit my hook! :depressed: Mark lost two but landed one nice little hatchery hen.
We had a great time fishing this wonderful river and will be back again.
Water temp was about 63 degrees.
Mark will be posting pics soon!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That sounds like fun :dance: What jig color works best over there? Any pictures?

[ 08-04-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
This was my first time fishing the lower Deschutes for summer steelhead and man what a beautiful river it is. We hiked up the west side late Sunday evening and saw one steelhead caught for about 10-12 anglers.

Monday morning we arrived shortly after daylight and there were several people already in their spot. We decided to try the east side and found some nice water to fish but couldn't get a bite.

Finally around 10:00 AM with the full sun shining on the water I hooked my first steelhead. This fish hit the jig so hard it practicly ripped the rod out of my hand. It was a nice bright fish that looked to be around 8 pounds. I got the fish to within a few feet and was waiting for Shane to get the camera from my vest when the buck made one final run and freed himself from the barbless hook.

Several minutes later the second steelhead took the same skunk jig just as hard as the first. This fish was bright but a little smaller.

I re-tied my leader with the same jig and cast out again. As soon as the jig hit the water a steelhead hammered it. I didn't even get a chance to get the slack line off of the water. Within a few seconds the fish got off.

Later in the same drift I had a fourth bobber down on the skunk jig and this one turned out to be a nice little guy. After a quick picture he was released.

Shane was really working his Spey rod and when he switched over to a sinking tip line he hooked but lost a nice steelhead.

Here's a nice shot of Shane working a drift.

Shane hooked his steelhead on a muddler minnow.

All of the fish I hooked were on my green-butted skunk jig. I was using a sliding float set-up which included a 1/2 oz West Coast Float with an in-line weight and a two foot leader tied to the jig.

Thanks for the great time Shane. This was a trip I won't soon forget.

Have fun fishing.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Nice pics, floating the river this weekend from Buck Hollow down. I guess I'll have to let the kids fish jigs. Good posts Shane and Mark.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
First Cast Jigs don't work on the Deschutes, espcially the blue and purples colors. Two years ago I took a neighborhood boy steelhead fishing for his first time on the Deschutes. He fished FCJs and I was fishing spoons. He limited and I got skunked.

[ 08-05-2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sweet :dance:

First Cast,

Do make a jig in a solid white (pearl)? I'm plnning on picking up some of your jigs in the next few days and thought I would ask while checking out the nice pics.

Solid black is also very good and with your success with the "skunk" , I will get a few of them as well :wink: .

Thanks
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark is an amazing fisherman alright :cool: This Deschutes trip was one of my most memorable ever. We had a great time and Marks jigs really came through.
Mark you ought to retire that jig :shocked: I offered him $20 for it but he was holding out for $25 :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts