IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Headed out to Depoe Bay yesterday 8/14 for some "bank bound" rock fishing. The ledge at Boiler bay proved to be the most productive, all nice bass and one of Austin's went nearly 5lbs.
They are still hitting artificials, as the octopus and squid I tried for bait produced nothing.
I did get one undersized ling on a black curly tail grub.
All in all a great way to spend my one day off this week. Sunshine, cool breezes and tight lines!!
Sorry, no pics tho,... We gotta get that digicam I guess.
Jamie
PS The whale watching was cool too. Lots of rolling and spouting going on out there!

[ 08-15-2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: lingslayer ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Ling slayer... I have never done that before but it sounds like fun. I have a few questions..

Are there specific spots you look for on the rip rap? If so what do you look for? Water depth, neaby secondary cover, or???
This sounds like something you could do many places up and down the coast. Thanks

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
rob allen-

just do a search under "Depoe Bay". You'll find an incredible amount of information that should get you well on your way thanks to Depoe Bay Dan. You can pick up all the gear you need right there in Depoe Bay at the 76 gas station. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SH22

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob,
Depoe Bay Dan showed us his favorite spots and most all of them consist of steep rocky areas with rocky bottoms. There is submerged rocks, kelp and/or grasses in them too which provdes some cover/structure. If you can't get together with Dan, drop me a line and we'll holler the next time we go over. We'll share what we've been shown and what to use and how. You aren't afraid of heights are you? :grin:
The ledge on the south side of Boiler Bay drops off very quickly with underwater shelves stepping out to about 30'-40'.
We were throwing 1/2-2 oz jig heads with various plastic/rubber grubs, scampi, shad and chovy bodies. All the best ones are available right there in Depoe at the 76 station as SH22 pointed out. Surprisingly the prices are great there too. Better than at Sportsman's Whse. here in Salem.
Give it a try! The fishing is a kick and the eating is great too!
Jamie

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
This time of year is actually not the best to try your hand at the rockfish, particularly lings and trout, but from what Ive seen so far, the only thing required is water and a bit of rubber lately.

If your targeting lings, my advice is to pick an area protected even a little from wind and surf. The baitfish tend to stay away from the rougher water, thus it would only make sense that the lings are hiding below them looking for a snack.

Ive had the best luck on North point there in Depoe, but its snaggy towards the west with a big shallow shelf, and snaggy to the east with weeds. My biggest however (30+) came one early evening standing on the South wall of the channel. Coast guard had a few words with me so dont try it.

Retrieving your catch is tricky too...the best scenario is to pick a low tide where you can lead your fish to the west and walk down close enough to minimize the lift. The area has been known to be dangerous so please be careful. Bring a buddy for sure.
Otherwise, you can go with a heavy rod and something like a 40# braided line tied to a leader strong enough to hoist the keepers up the rocks. Ive done well with 6 inch rubber worms, dark ones with glitter and a 1.5 or 2 oz jig head hook. (all available at 76 or the south end texaco who also have sandshrimp) Bouncing off the bottom is the most productive (and of course the most snaggy) When you cast it out there, wait for it to hit the bottom and give it a few jerks, Ive had more hits with the first jerk or two than anything else. A little shrinp oil injection never hurts either.

Another spot that produced well was the park south of whale cove. Just to the south side of the park, near the otter crest parking area that used to be a road is a steep trail which leads you down behind a large rock. Theres a nice protected cove there. Fish the southern edge just inside where the surf hits the rocks. The inner cove is shallow but the whole area has produced well with both jigging the bottom, and bobber fishing bait. Only thing is, Ive not been there in at least 8 years so I am not even sure its accesable anymore, it was quite a treacherous hike down back then and I cant imagine it has improved.

Good luck

PS, glad to hear you had fun Lingslayer, give a shout next time your down this way, Im minutes away and could use the little extra motivation to get down there and see Dans freezer :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts