IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took our two daughters out tonight, we have some local tags and both daughters are signed up in the mentor program and we had all intentions of letting either of them shoot a deer if we saw a legal buck. Looking over some open country my wife says “there’s a bear.” Not thinking much of it we watch it crest the hill and I range it at 745 yards. The older daughter says “that’s doable, I can make that shot.” (She practices with me out to 1000 yards but funny how she’s pretty darn confident). As we go back to scanning for deer my wife asks me if we have bear tags, why yes we do. Both my daughters immediately start to badger me why we didn’t shoot it. They’re getting pretty darn eager to pull triggers on critters these days. 😁

So about 30 min later my wife says “there’s another bear!” Keep in mind we are in an old burn and a long way from where I would expect to see a Bruin. My youngest daughter (same one that shot the antelope earlier this year) is all over it the moment I asked if either wanted to shoot it. I ranged him at 447 yards, got her settled in and level. BOOM, WHOP. We have a dead bear. Of course she wants a mount of some sort, it’s hard to say no being a proud dad. Not to shabby for 10 years old and her first hunting season. On our way home she wanted to know what other tags I have. 😄
Smile Plant Branch Tree Grass

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Heck ya! Way to Young one! That's way cool. Good on you.tailchaser for taking the time ! Congratulations to you both and for the family experience

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
A 10 year old that isn't gun shy and hitting a target out to 447 yeards, impressive. What gun was she shooting and Where do you practice 1000 yard shots? Thats impressive to have both daughters out shooting that range. good job dad.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 10 year old that isn't gun shy and hitting a target out to 447 yeards, impressive. What gun was she shooting and Where do you practice 1000 yard shots? Thats impressive to have both daughters out shooting that range. good job dad.
The rifle is a Modern Christensen Arms 6.5 creedmoor with a 5” Thunderbeast suppressor. Topped with a Leupold Mark 5 3.5x18 and Atlas bi-pods.

I spent a lot of time in load development not wanting to create more recoil that I had to but also not wanting to sacrifice performance too much. Ended up with 140 gr Berger’s w/ 40.5 gr 4350 and so far has worked perfectly. The gun shoots lights out. To date my loads have been +\- 3 fps. The recoil is barely more than a .17 when suppressed.

As of where I shoot, I have a spot about 15 minutes from my house that we can setup the steel targets and have clean sight windows lying down or on a bench. We practice both and yesterday she was able to lay down to take the shot. I pack a small rear sandbag in my pack for them too. Acquiring the animal in the scope seems to be the challenge though, once either daughter is on it, it’s in trouble.

tc

·
Registered
600 Posts
That's really fun. Good shooting young lady! Most of my tags are likely to be donations to ODFW as my kids have been keeping me busy on their hunts. Wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
yahoo..Nothing better for a Dad than that..Her smile is infectious..I was always way happier for my kids than myself. Congrats..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts