IFish.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one seen the OFWD fall forcast yet? I saw Bills article in the paper and there was section in there that said i the unitof wagontire one part says success predicated to be 25% to 40% near water holes then down below it says Wagontire is supposed to be average sucess rate???:confused:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
No but i have seen the one that ODFW put out!!! just kidding, here it is, conflicting info is probably because Wagontire is in a bunch of districts:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/hunting_forecast/2007_fall_forcast.asp

Deschutes District (Upper Deschutes, Paulina, north Wagontire, north Fort Rock – some of Metolious)</U>
Buck ratios are up and above management objectives this year in all five units. There should be numbers of mature and yearling bucks available in all units. Upper Deschutes may have less but ratios look better this year. Measures including controlled hunting, disease monitoring and closures to protect wintering habitat have helped bring buck ratios up. Overall deer populations continue to be lower than desired due to disease, habitat and predation. Drivers along central Oregon highways also take their toll; the area has high numbers of road-killed deer. . Please be careful when hunting around hay and agricultural fields. ODFW Deschutes District has heard reports of problems with arrows getting cut up and baled in hay fields. These sharp pieces of metal in hay bales can kill horses and cows if they ingest them. ODFW has also heard reports of problems with rifle hunters pointing loaded rifles into fields while workers are working in the fields.

Harney District (Silvies, Malheur River, Steens Mt, Juniper, portions of Beatys Butte and Wagontire)
ODFW surveys showed buck ratios in the unit are meeting or exceeding management objectives in all units. Hunter success in these units is expected to range from 35 to 50 percent depending on weather conditions. Like in other districts, the overall deer population remains below desired levels. Throughout the area below average winter snow and spring rain has resulted in poor forage conditions this summer. Since mid-July big game species have been using shrubs as their primary forage. This year's Egley Complex Fire burned over 140,000 acres of deer, elk and antelope habitat in the Silvies Unit which is expected to concentrate animals (and hunters) to unburned areas. Some hunters will find their favorite campsite or hunting area blackened. Malheur River and Wagontire units also experienced fires. Hunters in these units need to be especially aware of any fire restrictions or closures and check with land managers before hunting (Malheur National Forest:)

Lake District (Warner, Interstate, Siilver Lake, southern portions of Beatys Butte, Fort Rock and Wagontire) </U>

Buck ratios are at or above management objectives in all units as they were in 2006 so adult bucks should be available. Over winter fawn survival was fair which should result in average yearling buck numbers. Throughout the area below average winter snow and spring rain has resulted in poor forage conditions this summer. Since mid-July big game species have been using shrubs as their primary forage. If the area does not receive substantial rain prior to the opener hunters should expect to find deer in areas with shrubs in the understory. Some recommended locations for hunting are the 2002 Tool Box fire in Silver Lake district where forage species are recovering. Focus on the fringe of the fire for best results. Forage species on the Grassy Fire area of the Fremont National Forest are also recovering nicely so the area is worth a look.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Jeremy I went on line but could not find it dang nabit but thank you for posting.:clap:

No but i have seen the one that ODFW put out!!! just kidding, here it is, conflicting info is probably because Wagontire is in a bunch of districts:

Deschutes District (Upper Deschutes, Paulina, north Wagontire, north Fort Rock – some of Metolious)</U>
Buck ratios are up and above management objectives this year in all five units. There should be numbers of mature and yearling bucks available in all units. Upper Deschutes may have less but ratios look better this year. Measures including controlled hunting, disease monitoring and closures to protect wintering habitat have helped bring buck ratios up. Overall deer populations continue to be lower than desired due to disease, habitat and predation. Drivers along central Oregon highways also take their toll; the area has high numbers of road-killed deer. . Please be careful when hunting around hay and agricultural fields. ODFW Deschutes District has heard reports of problems with arrows getting cut up and baled in hay fields. These sharp pieces of metal in hay bales can kill horses and cows if they ingest them. ODFW has also heard reports of problems with rifle hunters pointing loaded rifles into fields while workers are working in the fields.

Harney District (Silvies, Malheur River, Steens Mt, Juniper, portions of Beatys Butte and Wagontire)
ODFW surveys showed buck ratios in the unit are meeting or exceeding management objectives in all units. Hunter success in these units is expected to range from 35 to 50 percent depending on weather conditions. Like in other districts, the overall deer population remains below desired levels. Throughout the area below average winter snow and spring rain has resulted in poor forage conditions this summer. Since mid-July big game species have been using shrubs as their primary forage. This year's Egley Complex Fire burned over 140,000 acres of deer, elk and antelope habitat in the Silvies Unit which is expected to concentrate animals (and hunters) to unburned areas. Some hunters will find their favorite campsite or hunting area blackened. Malheur River and Wagontire units also experienced fires. Hunters in these units need to be especially aware of any fire restrictions or closures and check with land managers before hunting (Malheur National Forest:)

Lake District (Warner, Interstate, Siilver Lake, southern portions of Beatys Butte, Fort Rock and Wagontire) </U>

Buck ratios are at or above management objectives in all units as they were in 2006 so adult bucks should be available. Over winter fawn survival was fair which should result in average yearling buck numbers. Throughout the area below average winter snow and spring rain has resulted in poor forage conditions this summer. Since mid-July big game species have been using shrubs as their primary forage. If the area does not receive substantial rain prior to the opener hunters should expect to find deer in areas with shrubs in the understory. Some recommended locations for hunting are the 2002 Tool Box fire in Silver Lake district where forage species are recovering. Focus on the fringe of the fire for best results. Forage species on the Grassy Fire area of the Fremont National Forest are also recovering nicely so the area is worth a look.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey no problem I just re-read that paragraph and though man those are some lucky hunters hunting a unit that should be a 50% prediction for success rates wow:bigshock:.

So is this a announcement Bill your retiring???? I think you do a good job and I hope not.
:cheers:

It's on the ODFW Website's main page...first one under "Hot Topics"

Sorry I missed that one. This year's hunt section was a bit of a bust for me...and not because I'm retiring.

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts
Thanks, but yeah...time to go. It's on the blog and was mentioned on one thread a bit back...

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what does a mature writter do are you going to write a novel? Congrads on your pending retirement more time to do the things you want to:cheers:

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts
I may keep writing the Sunday column...they're still working through a lot of things in the newsroom...Novel? Probably not, but never say never...collections of columns? maybe. A book on fishing holes around Portland is most likely...

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Hey ehunter, what did I say????? SADDLE MOUNTAIN UNIT
While deer numbers are modest in the unit as a whole, excellent buck escapement from last year should lead to decent buck hunting.

Can I have the definition of decent??? We have been hearing this good buck escapement thing for how many years now, but harvest continues to slide. The stats are out for last year now and we set a new all time low for S.M. 315 bucks by general season tag holders. Last year was excellent hunting conditions, remember the rain????

Buck counts may be good, but the population counts have to be in the tank. The bio's told us for years, "you can not stock pile deer." Well, boys where are they at???

I don't think the term decent is correct when harvest is only 20% of historic levels. I think the term "a shame", is more correct.

I see Crooked Creek and Battle Creek mentioned in the places to go, what do you think ehunter?

·
Halibut
3,055 Posts
While deer numbers are modest in the unit as a whole, excellent buck escapement from last year should lead to decent buck hunting.

Can I have the definition of decent??? We have been hearing this good buck escapement thing for how many years now, but harvest continues to slide. The stats are out for last year now and we set a new all time low for S.M. 315 bucks by general season tag holders. Last year was excellent hunting conditions, remember the rain????

Buck counts may be good, but the population counts have to be in the tank. The bio's told us for years, "you can not stock pile deer." Well, boys where are they at???

I don't think the term decent is correct when harvest is only 20% of historic levels. I think the term "a shame", is more correct.

I see Crooked Creek and Battle Creek mentioned in the places to go, what do you think ehunter?
Decent deffined by the ODF&W: Not disgusting and where a hunter will (on occation) see a track or a deer antler rub.:laugh:

I suppose the buck escapement idea is born out of the idea that few bucks were taken last year?

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rank I think crooked creek and Battle creek must be below the 500 foot escapement, those places are just over run with deer :jester:. Yea I creacked up I have to wonder really who they are kidding and Joking with because I know the deer counts were down last year in one of those places mentioned so lets add more doe hunts wipe them all out and call it good.:clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts