IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Deep River last weekend with Sand Shrimp that we got over at Tackle Time. Thanks Linda for setting them aside for us. Got 2 nice keepers on Saturday and then nailed these 4 on Sunday. 12 feet of water on the outgoing tide. The bite was furious for about an hour, these were some of the hardest take downs I have seen in years.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
nice job, cant wait to get out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts
F4F, I've never been to the Deep River ramp. Now that I live in Washington, I would like to give it a try. If you don't mind, I've got some questions? Can you launch and recover your boat any time during the tide? Is it paved? Is there plenty of parking? Is the reference to a smelly ramp because of fish guts being left there? Is the area sheltered from both a West or East wind?

Also, did you run all the way from Deep River to Warrenton to get your bait? Isn't shrimp available somewhere in Washington?

This is alot to ask but it would be helpful. Thanks. :smile:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Up-4-Air,
I've launched and retrieved from the Deep river ramp durning any tide and I have never had a problem. Yes it is paved and there is not usually any problem with the wind, not until you get out into the Columbia. They have a fish cleaning table right next to the ramp and everyone throws the remains into the river where the gulls feed on them at low tide, so it does get smelly later in the season. I've had some of my best sturgeon fishing in 5-10' of water off of Rocky Point and near Knapton. You can usually buy bait at Eva's bait where you pay for the ramp.

love2fish

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK lets see if I can answer all of your questions. :grin: The ramp is usable at all tides, on some of the huge minus tides you may drop the trailer off the end though. It is a paved 1 lane ramp, it is private and the cost is 5 $$. NO Power loading or launching though. I highly stress that if nothing else you follow that rule. There is tons of parking, if not in the lot the field across the road is massive. The smell :smile: is because in the Summer the mountain of fish parts gets very large and on a low tide it can get to smelling alittle. Never had a wind problem at this ramp before. As for the shrimp, I am very picky about the size of Sand Shrimp we use. I always go for the Jumbo Size, they work a lot better than the Steelhead size. Since I wasn't able to get the bait we were after, on the way down, I went to Tackle Time. I did drive the truck over on Saturday morning. The area is full of sand bars. If you are not running a sled be careful. Even if you are in a sled, keep an eye on the depth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We were down towards the Blind Channel area out on the shallow flats. Not much problem with the ramp being smelly yet. The fishing has been a little slow so far, there were only 12 fish for 8 boats Sunday at 2pm. We had 4 and another boat had 3. Give it another week or so and the ramp will be getting ripe on a low tide.

·
Registered
264 Posts
l2f and F4F, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to a sturgeon trip now that spring chinook is winding down. Sounds like shallow water on the out going is the best time. See you there. Thanks again. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts