IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Read Only
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I committed a sacrilegious act last night...I took a slab of my ocean caught chinook, cut it into cubes and deep fried it in 370 deg olive oil with a light beer batter coating - accompanied with a beaver horseradish cocktail sauce. I was always curious. In order to get the batter to a light golden brown the salmon gets cooked to death and loses its delicate flavor and color. I kind of figured that but wasnt sure how long it would take to ruin salmon. Now I know! I am not a beer batter fan anyhow. Back to white fillet fish and cornmeal/flour mix!

Attachments

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Try it again. Only, next time, dredge in flour, dip in egg/milk, and dust with Pride of the West (I add a touch of cayenne). Place the pieces on a wire rack and put in the freezer for 30-45 minutes to set up. Then fry in 400+° peanut oil. The hotter oil will crisp the crust faster and having the fish really cold will keep it from over cooking.

That’s how I fry all me sea creatures and it comes out great. Salmon too.

Reactions: Soulakala

· Read Only
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! will give it another try. Yes always use lemon. My frier only goes to 380 but I guess that is close enough. my wife like 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour mix so will try that with pride of the west instead of reg flower/baking soda/salt. or is that what pride of the west is?

· Registered
602 Posts
Try a light coat of "pride of the west" then roll it in panko.

Will turn out WAY better light brown crispy and don't cook it very long.

Also, don't use olive oil not good for deep frying.

Use canola oil. 360 -375* I think you will be amazed at the difference.

"Pride of the West" is a simple batter. I like it cause I can make it as thick or thin as I want and it always turns out very good
Don't forget a lemon squeeze. :flag2:

· Read Only
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rarely eat fish without lemon! Sorry but I grew up on olive oil and thats all I use. It dosent smoke at 350-400. Or at least the ones I use out of Cali. I dont trust the euro ones anymore as many are cut with other oils. At least the ones I buy in my price range.

I also like vinegar with my fried fish. My favorite ones are aged spanish sherry ones but they are very expensive but strong so dont need to use much.

· Registered
9,578 Posts
Add about 1/3 rice flour to your coating, wet or dry makes no difference but it will make the fried fish almost crackle when you bite into the coating. And yes use peanut oil but its spendy, or if you don't give a dang about your health use palm oil which is commonly used in island cooking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.