IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello iFishers,

I have a friend who has a nice boat and wants to do some fishing on Saturday. I have never fished from a boat before so I am not exactly sure when we should be heading out. We will launch at Chinook Landing or somewhere close to there.

Can anyone recommend a good time to head out? Fish the incoming, outgoing, slack(s)?

He is an extremely accomplished captain but does not fish that often and never on the Columbia.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
P

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Here are your Saturday tides by Chinook Landing. You could either fish the outgoing tide in the morning on anchor or troll the incoming high tide in the late afternoon. Wind looks pretty calm that day so you might have glass water conditions. River level still really low so you could troll the outgoing tide too if you wanted. Keep an eye on that wind as that can ruin any fishing trip out there.

Product Plant Organism Font Screenshot

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looking at that tide report I would probably put in at 10am. Troll the end of the outgoing tide and slack and then the incoming tide until I got limited, tired or the sun set.
As for anchoring If your skipper or you do not have experience anchoring on the Columbia River and the proper gear ( anchor buoy and retrieval system and good heavy anchor and minimum 300 f33t of line) I would not anchor. If you let out too little scope on your anchor line (lookup the word) and don't have a buoy you could get into trouble either when anchoring or when retrieving your anchor. that current is POWERFUL!

Troll where the other boats are trolling. I would suggest putting in up at Washougal (less thieves and homeless scum) and going across to the pyramid rock area and fishing. You will see the other boats.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, thank you so much for the help all.

Secondly, I made a mistake on where we are launching. He launches at Sunrise Marina on Haydn Island.

That probably doesn't change much. We are hitting the water at 10am.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Firstly, thank you so much for the help all.

Secondly, I made a mistake on where we are launching. He launches at Sunrise Marina on Haydn Island.

That probably doesn't change much. We are hitting the water at 10am.

Thanks!
I'm guessing you mean Sundance, but if that were me I would probably fish the terminal 6 area, or all the way down to the deadline even though it's about a half hour drive, or longer that far down at full throttle for most boats. That give's you a better chance at fin clipped silvers that you wouldn't get as much of above the Willamette and Chinook too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm guessing you mean Sundance, but if that were me I would probably fish the terminal 6 area, or all the way down to the deadline even though it's about a half hour drive, or longer that far down at full throttle for most boats. That give's you a better chance at fin clipped silvers that you wouldn't get as much of above the Willamette and Chinook too.
I believe the deadline until Oct. 31 is Bouy 10? It might take a little linger to get there from the I-5 then 30 minutes.

Mainstem Columbia River Recreational Salmonid Fishery Buoy 10 upstream to Tongue Point/Rocky Point • Effective 12:01 AM Friday October 1 through Sunday October 31, 2021 retention of Chinook (adult and jacks) is allowed in the mainstem Columbia River from the Buoy 10 line upstream to the Tongue Point/Rocky Point line. The daily adult bag limit is three salmon, of which only one may be a Chinook. Tongue Point/Rocky Point upstream to Warrior Rock/Bachelor Island • Effective 12:01 AM Friday October 1 through Sunday October 31, 2021 retention of Chinook (adult and jacks) is allowed in the mainstem Columbia River from the Tongue Point/Rocky Point line upstream to the Warrior Rock/Bachelor Island line. The daily adult bag limit is two salmon, of which only one may be a Chinook.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Whole river below there is open kings and silvers. I fish it quite a bit and start trolling down river from the washington side thru the I5 bridge, then switch over to the oregon side troll by the red can to the rail road bridge and still not getting bit or marking fish hit the harbor in deeper water or motor down to davis bar where the willamette enters near the barges on the washington side. You will see the trollers. Its not called dead zone for nothing but they gotta pass thru there too. River is colder so a good chance of getting bit. 360's with cutplug supper bait filled with tuna and bloody tuna powder has been the ticket. Be ready at any moment

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yes, Sundance!

Thanks BigFish!
Your welcome, One of the guys earlier mentioned the deadline right now technically is the ocean and he is right. A month ago the deadline was just above Warrior Rock and the Lewis River and although it's not on fire right now by any means if you fish in that general area you should bump in to a fish. If it's bright outside 360's and spinners work well, but all the other stuffers (no pun intended) are getting bit as well. Once again it's a long ride even in perfect conditions. Also as mentioned earlier on here there are fish all through the system. I would also suggest dedicating one rod to running a real cut plug green, or red label and maybe even a harness or hitch rigged whole smaller herring.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome BigFish! That was the plan to troll herring. Wasn't sure what label color to get.

We will have two rods fishing so we will do one of each, cut and whole. I have ZERO experience or understanding of the 360s, spinners or flasher game.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should I be looking to pick up mooching rigs? Slip or not? I am on shaky ground here as you can tell.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Should I be looking to pick up mooching rigs? Slip or not? I am on shaky ground here as you can tell.
No slip unless you want to get crazy with some methods used for whole herring, but even then I like the kiss theory. If you do whole herring a herring helmet would be the trick and orange label if you can find it and red if not. If green is all you have to choose from, plug cut it coho style and if you have time to brine it even better, but straight out of the package is fine too.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If you want to dye it while brining it blue seems to best for me this time of year, but green, red and I have even done red and blue combined to do a purple herring. It takes time for that to sink in, or set into the skin. Usually 10 to 12 hours if you have the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dorked out all day on YouTube, and $200 later, I will be giving a shortbus 360 a chance. Got some brads super baits and some 3.5 spinners. All the gear. And green labels for my bud who likes using divers.

Stoked for my first troll.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I dorked out all day on YouTube, and $200 later, I will be giving a shortbus 360 a chance. Got some brads super baits and some 3.5 spinners. All the gear. And green labels for my bud who likes using divers.

Stoked for my first troll.
That’s a takedown.

You guys get bit and you’ll be the ones hooked.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts