IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these pics three weeks and many more fsih have been killed due to this eye soar.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Lund,
Don't see the pics. What a shame that weir killed all those wild fish.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I wish I could help you post those pics Lund but I am pictorally challenged. But...let's push this...the wier was on the North Fork of the Nehalem two years ago about 900 feet below my house, I saw several mint bright fish laying dead in the bottom of the hole behind the house and the fish return was abysmal. No fish were holding where they normally would, even though it was supposed to be a good year.

The stress ODFW is causing is definitely detrimental to the run. I watched the keeper of the trap spend 10 minutes chasing a fish around the trap with his net, not even catching it. His only comment was that he would wait a while until there were more fish in the trap because then they were easier to catch.

Get those pictures posted, maybe you can email them to HustlerJim

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Lund,

if you are having problems posting, please send those to me and will post them.

EK

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
The picture he sent me was 1.4 mb, and I can't download that much on a dial up.
It clogged my mail.
I'm so sorry.
Someone on high speed catch it for me?
Jen

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
GRRRRR! :mad: I don't get it. Why does ODFW let this crap happen. I'm sending another e-mail...(like it will help :hoboy: ).

Thanks for the heads up Lund, Jennie, and all those keeping an eye on this.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm in support of taking out that weir ... but

one dead salmon in a river is not all that impressive.

If you good people tell me fish are dying there, I believe you, but these photos aren't going to jolt anyone into action.

[ 09-10-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Before jumping to conclusions, has anyone contacted the district ODFW fish biologist to find out the whole story about the weir? What was the response? :whazzup:

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those pics are the only ones that turned out. I have not been back for three weeks to the weir, but I've been told that over 500 fish are kegged below it at this time. All those fish need to be 25-50 mile up that river, and in the shape they are in now, that feet is nearly impossible. I counted at least 8 dead fish three weeks ago that were in great shape, (chrome) . I would make a healthy wager that many more are now dead due to this blockage of the river. The fish that entered the river the first week of August need to be spawning now, and many of those are black and white sitting in the hole below the weir. Everything seems okay now but in 4 years when the effects of this weir kill a native summer chinook fishery it will be horrible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts