IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,090 Posts
If you have a <54" bottom I would stick to 9'ers, anywhere in the area code 503 I dont know of a need for 10' oars!

if Flex is what you like.. Sawyer lites are the best.. All wood, all the time for me!

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Ive got the cataract sgg's with magnum floating blades and built in counterbalances. They are 9.5ft and work great in my Clacka which is 57" wide. Big difference between these and the carlisle powerstrokes that are standard Clacka issue.

· Banned
19,821 Posts
I've got 8 1/2 Sawyer counter balanced, with laminated wood blades.
My old Alumaweld has a 48 bottom, I like shorter oars for rock dodging in tight spots, you get a quicker response with the shorter oar.

· Registered
2,647 Posts
I have a 17x60 Willie and use the Sawyer lights 9.5. I also have a set of Cataracts but prefer the Sawyers. Much lighter and easier to row. If you get wood oars have them tipped with Rhino liner or one of the other coatings. Saves your oar tips.

· Registered
5,036 Posts
I wish I new.

I've got 9.5 cats and I'd like to try some 10.5's or 11's. It's completely relative to the width of your boat and your size. I've got a 18x60 willie (84" at the oarlocks) and for a lot of rivers I could use more oar length. The shorter oars are great for smaller more technical rivers like the Nestucca up high, but a longer oar would be really nice for a river like the wilson where you dont encounter many shallow/technical spots.

Personally, I think I'll buy a set of 10.5 cat shafts and just swap the blades depending on what river I'm headed to that day.

· Registered
5,036 Posts
I wish I new. I've got 9.5 cats and I'd like to try some 10.5's or 11's. It's completely relative to the width of your boat and your size. I've got a 18x60 willie (84" at the oarlocks) and for a lot of rivers I could use more oar length. The shorter oars are great for smaller more technical rivers like the Nestucca up high, but a longer oar would be really nice for a river like the wilson where you dont encounter many shallow/technical spots.

Based on your avatar it looks like you have a clacka. They have a very flaired out hull. The standard 16x57 boat has is 83" at the oarlocks. Considering the standard 16' aluminum boat is 74-76 at the oarlocks it makes a big difference. It's the equivalant to loosing 5" of oar from one boat to another.

Personally, I think I'll buy a set of 10 or 11' cat shafts and just swap the blades depending on what river I'm headed to that day.

· Registered
Fly
3,253 Posts
I will always row with Sawyer lites. I just like them, the flex. I have used cats and others and the counter balance oars are nice, but I think somewhat slower in technical water.

I have 9.5' Sawyer lites on my 54" And 9's on my 48" DB

Unless your getting a Willie 62 or something similar I can't see getting 10's

· Registered
449 Posts
Maybe this is different, but I was told that for my high end cat that you do the following;
1) Measure the distance from one oar tower to the other.
2) Divide that # by 2
3) Multiply that number by 3

This gives you minimum size.
:cheers:

· Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

I need to look at the sawyer's for more contrast. The rep from NRS rafting last night told me the flex and rebound is not very noticable from the cataract to the carslile? He also told me to get some counter balance sleeves from the cataracts and put them onto my sticks and I would be fine. Anyone done this?
The guy also was saying, unless I am rowing the columbia (don't plan to try that..) I do not need anything over 10.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.