IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, 9/11 was a day of firsts for me. I killed my first elk, which was my first archery elk, and also my first solo elk! Very exciting stuff. After years of chasing elk with my bow and blowing countless set ups, the stars finally aligned.

I sold my sled and the new owner took possession last week so I decided it was time for some hunting. I snuck into an area that we hunted last year and was planning on spending the day in there listening, scouting for the rest of the season, etc. As I created the top ridge that drops down into the drainage I heard a deep bugle a few hundred yards below. I didn’t even bring my bugle tube with me as my plan was to just softly cow call and wait. Well, I started calling to the bull and he started up the ridge. Turned out I also had cows just below me and off to the side who were aiding in my calling efforts. The bull was bugling his head off and coming at a pretty quick pace when I see a spike waking in about 100 yards away. Mr spike just keeps coming until he is 6 yards away. Hi figured out I wasn’t a stump and after a few second standoff he spins to take off. I cow called with my mouth and he stops at 20 yards quartering away, too good of a chance to fill the freezer to pass. I released the arrow and knew I hit him. He trotted off and I kept expecting him to fall but he didn’t. Uh oh. I snuck up to where he was standing and found no arrow, no blood but I knew it was a hit. I slowly snuck forward and glassed out in front of me. I saw him about 75 yards away, he was sick with his head down and tongue out. I could also see blood on the side I shot but it was far back. I decided to back out and give him a few hours to expire. I was just sick to my stomach that it wasn’t a quick kill. I drive back into town and grabbed a buddy to help pack. We went back in a few hours later and found bull dead and stiff right where I left him. Turned out the shot was far back but the angle was good and it destroyed one lung and knicked the other and crushed the opposite shoulder. The entire arrow was still inside and the broad head was actually against his heart. He died shortly after I left. It was a rough pack out, we got the heavy load back to the truck at 1130 pm and since the temps were going to get into the 30s, I opted to go get the second load Sunday morning. What a cool experience and a year of great eating. Oh, the other bull did come in as I was watching my spike. Not sure how big he was, but he was a mature bull.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's pretty awesome! Great job. With elk, I'm a take-what-you-get guy so that's.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Idaho Chinook

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
2,152 Posts
Well done and well deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That's what its all about....... Anticipation!
Sure makes it sweeter when instant gratification is delayed.
Great story Sir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts