IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Administrator
129,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked up! Stupid is as stupid does? LOL!

Now, it's my kid, so I have permission to think he's good. He's a junior in high school. The assignment is "compare and contrast". It's a college course because he ran out of high school courses to take. It's a program that they have here, called Pathways.

This is what he did with this assignment:

-----------------

Life Is Like a Box of Chocolates: Likely to Give You Diabetes

It’s the little things in life. It’s the little things that make your day brighter, the little things that make us one, and it’s the little things that make my blood boil. The next person to say “It’s the little things in life” will notice a big thing flying alarmingly quickly toward their frontal lobe. I can’t stand sayings! Nothing ups my heart-rate faster than the constant barrage of uncreative nonsense people shoot my way each day. “Stupid is as stupid does?” Well, sir, you seem to be as stupid as stupid can do. Most of these sayings that you hear plastered into nearly every conversation has two meanings; the meaning it attempts and the meaning it has. Today, we take a look at both meanings of three of my personal favorite mottos; “Live life to the fullest”, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” and “Be happy with what you have.”
Just as a disclaimer: don’t attempt to live life to the fullest. Doing so may result in permanent injury to self esteem, loss of memory, loss of limb and/or a sudden need for attention from everybody around you. When people say they “Live life to the fullest” what they think they mean is they’ll try anything if it seems good. What they really mean is “I don’t take responsibility for my actions.” Living life to the fullest, in it’s literal sense, is doing the most entertaining and gratifying thing that you can, regardless of future effects. The irony of this philosophy on life is that it still exists. The people that truly live by it die within a few weeks of its instatement!
“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!” This is one of those cheesy, inspirational mottos that can, on its own, sum up most chic-flicks. Its proposed translation is something around “If bad stuff happens, make it good!” This saying is never actually told to anybody whose life has given them “lemons” because most problems don’t have an obvious silver lining hiding within. When was the last time somebody lost their favorite pet and turned that into lemonade? It seems like that refreshing beverage still requires a bit more sugar. “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!” really means “I’ve never been given lemons, I just buy the powdered stuff from the store.” The next time life gives you lemons, send them back with a nasty letter.
“Be happy with what you have”, falls under the same falsehood as the last saying. It’s a sad attempt at a Buddhist philosophy that you can always be happy, regardless of what happens. And, once again, is never told to anybody that would use it. Imagine if somebody lost their hand in a tragic accident and somebody uttered this phrase to them? “Easy for you to say, you can still do handstands! What happens the next time somebody wants to give me a double high five?” If this poor sap wasn’t strapped to a medical bed, they’d make sure that arrogant, unsympathetic scamp wouldn’t be able to make the mistake again for at least week for sheer lack of ability.
The hidden meaning of this saying is simply “Don’t have goals.” Truly, if one was content with what they had from the beginning they would never change. What if you have nothing? Are you supposed to be happy with nothing? Reach that point, then I’ll respect this saying.
Now that you see the absolute garbage people sling everyday, I ask you to join me in arms. We can no longer allow sayings like these to perpetuate themselves into the next generation. I ask you to be original, be creative, and be refreshing. And for god’s sake, don’t let me catch you quoting Tom Hanks ever again.

· Registered
281 Posts
Wow............
How doy deal with a kid who knows everything? :whazzup: :wink: :wink:
I am glad mine are only 8 and 5, they still ask me lots of questions. :smirk:
I can answer most. :blush:

· Administrator
129,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, watch out! They grow up way smarter than the source. I'm here to tell you!

I have no clue what to say to him anymore!

:smile:

· Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm with Valley-Boy. Mine are 7 and 4, the 4 year old is at the "why" stage. Daddy, why is "butt crack" a bad word? Uhhh, it just is, dont say it any more :tongue: And by the way, Your son seems to be quite insightful, he has a gift. I hope he uses it well. Congrats on a bright son (no pun intended). I hope mine get half that smart some day. :wink:

· Registered
3,815 Posts
You have an independent thinker on your hands! As a parent, you have been given a tremendous gift.

From my own experience as a child with a parent who was often flabergasted at what came out of my mouth or from my pen, keep in mind the long term outcome. You will always be the parent. Just because the child turns 18, that doesn't mean the parenting is over. The best stuff I got from my parents was after I turned 18. You have an enormous opportunity to temper his youthful enthusiasm and cynicism with the voice of experience. Pay no mind if it seems to have no effect. It will in ten years' time. He'll take it and apply it and be a wonderful person as a result.

happybrew

· Administrator
129,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But, HB, if you saw his room, you'd call him an independent STINKER!

:laugh: It's AWFUL!

He shows up at class with his slippers on!!! COLLEGE!

He says, "Mom, it's just my style."

Messy is your style? Hooooooooooookay!

Jen

· Registered
10,871 Posts
There's nothing wrong with showing up to college with your slippers on. :grin: I used to go in my PJ's all the time when i'd get up late and not feel like getting dressed :laugh:

-jokester

· Administrator
129,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
267 Posts
i see your son is taking college courses in highschool that is especially smart if he is taking them at tbcc for they have the easiest college classes i have come by. And btw That is a very good paper not many people take the time to think of all those things that have such true meaning.

· Administrator
129,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What David likes about college is that it is what you make it. They don't MAKE him do things.

I always found in college that you can make it hard, or you can make it easy.

David found everything easy in school up till recently, and thus did not learn study skills until he started to fail in some classes. (You know, when he finally got challenged.)

He still struggles with studying, or being a good "student". He's very capable, but studying is a concept that can be missed if you aren't challenged, and in Tillamook, IMHO, they set their standards fairly low.

It's good for him if TBCC is fairly "easy" as this gives him a chance to do two things. Learn to study, and practice his writing skills. Better now, then when he gets to the real college life! Man, oh man is he in for a shocker!

Jen

· Registered
3,080 Posts
He is way ahead of me at that age. :applause:
I picked my university based on hunting and fishing possibilities.
Then made sure my education lasted a good long 8 years. :grin: hiho. id. p.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.