IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, May 31 I took my 8 year old daughter fishing on the Sandy with me. She has gone many times before but only fished kind of goofing around. I told her she was going to get her first springer that day and she didn't disapoint me.
Here's her first springer

Then I went up to Eagle Creek the next day, which was first time ever fishing there. I only had about three hours to fish and got this

Not a bad weekend overall........

JK

PS, This is my first time posting pictures, hope it works.

[ 06-12-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Way to go Jeff,
Those smiles will last only about a life time. :grin: Great pictures and thanks for sharing them with us. Did she get them on her Barbie fishing pole? :cheers:

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Great pics! Love that grin! That picture is suitable for framing. It will put a smile on anyone's face everytime they see it.

Man, that has got to be about as good as it gets!

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,
Thanks for the kind words, it was a very rememberable day for us. I failed to say that she had to make about 10 cell phone calls right after that picture was taken, even one to her aunt/uncle in L.A.

Andy,
Sorry to say she didn't get it on the Barbie pole, we've retired it. She has move up to a big kids rod and reel (one of dad's) for salmon/steelhead fishing. I'll tell you, ever sense she caught that fish I can't hardly get out to fish without her. She was really mad at me when I wouldn't let her miss her last day of school last week whem I went fishing, gotta love it.........
Oh, by the way, you need a Barbie pole for you little one? she's got hers up for sale. I know she wants quite a bit for it but it's in almost new condition and it comes with lots of memories :smile:

JK

[ 06-13-2003, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Jeff
That is awesome! I need to get some pointers from you about getting kids out fishing. My kids are only 2 years and 2 months respectively but I want to get some idea about how to do the soft sell to fishing. You clearly set the hook with your daughter at just the right time. What a terrific experience for both of you.

I have some nicer T-shirts to borrow if you need one. The one you have on clearly needs to be relegated to the bait box cleaning towel. :wink:

Eric

[ 06-13-2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: SandySteel ]

·
Registered
532 Posts
excellent picture-- Sure to bring smiles for years to come-
I just got back from vacation, and was lucky to take my neice out fishing-- 7 years old.. needless to say, she had the lucky rod that day-- managed to land several pike, walleyes and some perch etc.
The pictures and memories will last a lifetime--

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eric,
As far as the soft sell to fishing for kids I can sum in up in one word........"toys". This is my second daughter that I have introduced to fishing (one 8 and one 18) and the one thing that helps to keep them occupied is for them to bring their toys in the boat. I can't tell you how many fishing trips I've taken with Barbie and Ken (did you know that they float) :smile: . The other thing that I do is bring a padded moving blanket to lay on the floor, another blanket to cover up with and a pillow. You guessed it, nap time. It's kind of ironic, with both my girls, they always manage to bang fish when they're napping (woke her up on the hook set for this one). We also do alot of trout fishing together because there is more action, they'll love fishing more if they actually catch something. Just remember that their little attention spans are short and plan on more of a day with them than hard core fishing and it will all work out.

Oh, and as far as that tee shirt comment goes, all I have to say is:

"OSU our hats are off to you,
Beavers, Beavers, fighters thru and thru,
We'll cheer thru-out the land,
We'll root for every stand,
that's made for old OSU RAH-RAH-RAH

Watch our team go tearing down the field.
Those of iron, their strength will never yield.
Hail! Hail! Hail! Hail!
Hail to old OSU" :grin:

Oh yah, check out my daughters "fishin hat", got to keep it in the family.

JK

PS, Will you be at the Eagle Creek clean up this Saturday ?. If so, I'll see you there............

[ 06-13-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That sure is a cute little girl with a heck of a nice feesh. Too bad her daddy dresses her so funny :hoboy:
All I gotta say is:

"OSU our pants are off to you!
Beavers, BEEEEEEP, sons of BEEEEP too!!
We'll smoke your cigarettes, we'll BEEEP your majorettes, so OSU BEEP YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
what a great day to go fishing , great picture
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Fun, Fun, Fun!! :dance:

Who needs the stinkin Barbie pole, now she's right up there with the big boys or girls.

Good job

Bobby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts