IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out looking around at the shad fisherman at the falls on Sunday and saw the follwing sequence.

Notice the blockhouse on the left, it is the deadline. From what I can tell, the blue boat is as high up as you can legally fish. These Potential Nobel Prize winners move up to anchor above the deadline. They drop their anchor within 5' of the first fall. Notice the little kicker motor they are using.

So I'm thinking, no problem, this could actually improve the gene pool.

Then they decide to look for a better place to anchor and moved up about 150 yards.

I'm about tired of watching the show when our heros have a friend show up to form a "Phi Beta Kappa" hogline. Then I notice the lad in the green jersey, maybe 10 yrs old casting a spinning rod off the bow as they bob around under the falls WITH NO LIFE JACKET :shocked: :mad: :depressed: . The kid may actually have gotten some brains from his mom and doesn't deserve to die at this early age. Made me really :mad: :mad:

If anyone out they knows these clucks, please try to imress upon them how dangerous it is to have a boat on anchor that close to the falls. I considered motoring over and giving them a life vest for the boy, but then I'd have to talk to them, and there were a bunch of boats just below them, you know, below the legal deadline.

It's just fish, don't risk your life and others, especially kids. And for goodness sake, put those kids in a life jacket!!!

GRB

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Don't tell me no one out there has a cell phone. These dorks need (another) visit from law enforcement professionals.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
No...I was way below the falls that day! :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I dont know what these
are thinking when they dont have their kids wearing lifejackets. I could not even imagine the guilt if you killed your own kid. Comon people get a clue

·
Registered
209 Posts
Some people's kids. what's the world coming too? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
well said skrimmy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Read this....not everyone is so lucky. This was from Sunday's Lewiston Morning Tribune. We have been springer fishing over here for about 4 weeks and have witnessed this potential happening, numerous times. Unfortunately most folks just think it can't happen to them. We wear good PFD's everytime we fire up the boat (23' NW Jet Boat) or chalk over or re-anchor. Others look at us like we are idiots. It is quite OK.

Boat accident leaves one person missing
OROFINO -- One person is missing after a Saturday evening boat accident on the Clearwater River about 1 mile west of Orofino.
Clearwater County Sheriff's Office did not release the identity of the missing person, or of three other victims who were taken to Orofino's Clearwater Valley Hospital Saturday. The three were treated for hypothermia and released Saturday night, according to Patrol Sergeant Randy Herman.
The group was fishing on the Clearwater River in a 14-foot open aluminum boat. When they attempted to move the anchor, its line wrapped around the boat's outboard motor, Herman said. The tangled anchor caused the bow of the boat to swing downstream, while the stern pointed upstream. Water spilled in over the back of the boat and caused it to capsize.
All four were thrown into the water, which Herman estimated was at 42 degrees. They were taken to the hospital around 6:30 p.m., and divers and sheriff's office employees began a search for the missing person.
The search crew "exhausted all efforts" before dark, Herman said. They will resume this morning with 10 divers and several boats. The search may cause congestion of river traffic.
One person, a child, was wearing a lifejacket. The sheriff's office has secured the boat and will examine it today. Herman speculates factors in the accident were alcohol and the high river level caused by spring runoff.
Those involved may receive citations from the Clearwater County Prosecutor's Office and may be charged, according to Herman.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is one disease that can't be cured - stupidity.
Oregon law requires kids 12 and under to WEAR life vests at all times while under way.
Glad you didn't witness something worse - hope the kid can shake off the Darwin effect.

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
GRB - in your first photo I am not sure the boat to the left is beyond the deadline. :whazzup: The boat to the right is beyond the deadline in the first photo, As I understand it, the corner of the building is one end of the deadline, and the corner of the building that is quite a bit upstream and on the other side is the deadline. I would guess they are just about sitting on the deadline from my memory.

I do agree they are well above the deadline in the other photos :hoboy:

Last time I called a gammie up to the falls because some guys were up under the falls netting and bagging fish in gunny sacks, turns out I was the idiot. They had a permit to be there and were harvesting eels
Gammie didnt even know anybody had permission to be there until they started pulling out paperwork, then we left with our tail between out legs.

[ 05-20-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Pure stupidity. I grew up fishing Black Point as it is called and saw several boats flip. When the water is swift, there is not much chance for a child without a jacket. This time of year, it isn't so swift but a child would still have a very hard time to keep afloat. Dumb Dad.

There used to be a cable that went from Mill A (Oregon City) to Crown Zellerbach (West Linn) and that was the deadline. Since Mill A is gone, I am not sure if the cable survived.

Going up into the falls area can be dangerous as there are several rocks just under the surface at this time of year. Lots of boats have made some nice holes in there bottoms over the years.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Call the police for the kids' sake.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What is up there that is so special? We catch fish miles down river with much less of a danger. Your right. The gene pool might have improved on this day, but the kid would have been a tragic loss. With a parent like this, all I can do is pray for adoption. Maybe he will run away early and bump into a couple right our of college (it could happen).

---D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
GRB... thanks for posting the picks of the folks from the shallow end of the gene pool!! Geez, Louise! :whazzup:

Definitely candidates for a Darwin! I would never allow a kid in my boat without a well-fitting PFD. I'd ask what were they thinking, but clearly, that's beyond their capability!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts