IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EArlier this year, I drove the upper Nestucca road and was surprised to see a brand new dam on the Nestucca headwaters. It looked like it wiped out some prime spawning grounds. I understand it was built as water storage for McMinnville.

Does anybody know anything about the recreational plans for this new resevoir? Fish stocking, boat ramps, etc.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
No, it is not a brand new dam. The old dam was simply raised.....so, no, it hasn't "wiped out" any spawning grounds. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That area was not accessible for many, many years because of the Meadow Lake "natural dam"...that went away quite awhile back. I would not be concerned with any spawning being affected by the dam.

Depending on how they manage the water, it could actually help the stream in the fall if they let a little more flow out than actual inflow. But, being a water storage reservoir, I doubt that will happen.

TR

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Mmmm, how many times you been on that road?

To answer your questions, don't expect one single recreation act to happen on McGuire (fixed sp). It is fenced and has been as long as I have been going up there. No fishing, no boating, although I did spot a herd of elk swimming across it one morning and person could have beat them to the other side. But what type of spinners do you throw for elk, bobber egg maybe?

Always wondered what the protective attitude for that watershed is from? You can't play in the water, nor can you in the Haskin's creek watershed. But Barney is open for recreation, and both resevoirs provide drinking water? So what is the diff?

gus

repaired errors from being in a hurry.

[ 07-29-2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Gus Orviston ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
SBV

The Rouge is correct that this is just a raising of the height of the current dam. (McGuire)

During the permitting process for the taller dam, the city of McMinnville was required under new rules to either provide for fish passage (a fish ladder) or request a fish passage waiver. McMinnville was granted the waiver for two reasons. One, the dam itself blocks or destroys a very small amount of habitat (around 1 mile) with no real habitat above the impoundment. And two, about 3 miles downstream from McGuire is a fish passage obstacle called the Meadow Lake Reach Chute. This obstacle is comprised of the debris of the former Meadow Lake Dam that failed in the 50s or 60s. Boulders the size of a singlewide trailer strewn threw out a 400 yard long bedrock bottom ravine. The upper portion of the chute has an 11 foot drop fall with no plunge pool making passage for large fish virtually impossible. (I was there Saturday and took a picture of it).

Now the good part, as part of getting the Waiver, McMinnville was required by ODFW to repair the chute as part of their mitigation responsibilities. The city of McMinnville had Murray, Smith & Associates design and engineer the improvements to the cute and awarded the contract for the construction to Brandt Construction. The notice to proceed has been issued and as of yesterday or today the work began. (they were working on it as of a few hours ago when I drove by after fishing for summers) This will add the 3 miles of habitat between the cute and McGuire as well as several more miles of a large feeder stream that enters just below McGuire (think it’s called Miller)

If the city of McMinnville had not wished to raise McGuire Reservoir no one would have spent the time or money to improve this portion of the Nestucca.
:smile:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
***, wow thanks for the update. So what really is the net benefit of fixing the chute since it has been that way since 63 I thought, and then so many years before that it was blocked by a damn. Will it eventually net more native fish,it seems there is so much spawning grounds on the upper tucca already that it really wounldn't make much difference ?

gus

, oops slipped on my spelling too

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Ok, what is it with you Northern Oregon guys and spelling of "Rogue"???? :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the update! Gotta wonder, though was the extra money spent for this boulder removal stream cleanup worth it? Why not just specify a higher inflow than outflow in certain parts of the year, to help keep the stream up?

TR

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Rouge

We spell it the American way, you spell it the French way… I don’t like the French :tongue:

Yes the money that the City of McMinnville is spending is worth it. More water will not help. The hydrology is such that the bottom of the river there is bedrock and boulders. No gravel recruitment occurs because the flow of gravel above the chute is halted by the slower flow of water in the lakebed above. The gravel is needed for the creation of plunge pools for the fish to jump from. It is hard to explain in writing so lets try the proverbial 1000 words.

This is a picture of the Upper Chute. The feet you see are mine. I left them in to give the picture scale (size 14 hikers :grin: ). The big log on the left has a 5 foot diameter, the log on the right is back farther and has a 3 foot diameter. The water level at the bottom is just below the bottom of the picture (it is about where the bottom end of the big log is) It has been surmised that the only passage that occurs is by Cutthroat and only when the river is at or near flood stage.

Gus
You are correct, the Nestucca has plenty of spawning grounds. It does not have plenty of rearing habitat especially for Coho who need slower water up high in the system. The old lake bottom is just above and could provide many miles of Coho friendly habitat. On the Miller Creek side there are many older lake and pond bottom areas that have been washed out that could be restored for rearing habitat (although flow may be an issue)

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
good photo, it captures that spot well. I have walked down through there on a couple of occassions....don't ask. The water dropping onto flat rocks like shown doesn't lend itself to fish passage for sure. Look forward to watching this progress...

I remember when they had track hoes in the upper river making the log damns in the mid 80s,,,man I was smoked. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would have that type of equipement down in the creek...I stopped and chatted with one of the guys and got the low down. I felt better but wasn't convinced.

Since then I have seen much more spawning fish up the main river than before, coincidence...dunno. It does appear that there is more pooling as well for the smolts thus increasing survival.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
***, how is the road up there? wife and I used to like to drive from Beaver across but it was closed a few years back. It was a beautiful drive and had some nice steelhead runs and holes. How is the summer run status?

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Road is open again,,, reopened since the repair fiasco between Alder Glen and Elk Creek. Still 2 1/2 miles of gravel, I wish it were more.

gus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts