IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after Ugly Green called and said he and WildHawg were down at Lincoln City with the wives and NO BOAT, and the ocean looked like an ice rink, I started begging..."please honey, I know I'm supposed to help you in the yard, I know I'm getting ready to go on a fishing safari for a week, but, but, I haven't got to fish the ocean in my boat yet this year...PLEEAASE!!"

So there I was, at Depoe at O-dark on Sunday. Ocean had about a 5-6' swell but a glassy top. Ran out, found birds, started fishing, pretty darn slow, we moved around, found birds, found fish, scratched out a limit of 5 nice coho and one nice big "smily" that I managed to not miss (after missing 2 others)

They sure are pretty in the ocean

Then the guys thought we should check out the rockfish scene. I told them a Ling Cod could put me on the road to recovery with the little woman. Brad rigged me up his jig and shrimp fly combo on my steelhead drift rod and 15 lb line. We scratched a few here and there, and then...

We were motoring around looking for a spot on the reef when I looked at my meter and it looked like a swarm of bees! :shocked: :shocked:

We started whackin and stackin the rockfish. I had 7 doubles (two fish at once) in about 20 minutes. Fast and furious.

I told them we had to quit so I could get home and start the sucking up process.

Here is the tally

5 coho from 5-12#
One fat 32# smily
One legal Lingcod
A couple Cabezon, a Kelp Greenling, and the balance of 30 Black Bass.

An awesome day, Lingcod and Cabezon for dinner, wife is still talking to me. I am continually blessed for none of my own merit.

Good to meet WildHawg, we'll fish some more together for sure, thanks to UG for the Rockfish guiding services. Thanks to WH for donating the Ling to my recovery project. Thanks to my wife for, well, you know. Really an awesome day on the pond in the Willie.

GRB

[ 07-21-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
GRB, right on! Looks like you boys had some serious fun there - nice nookie! We got into those bottom fish on the Miss B a couple weeks ago - I think we got 60 of them in about 1 hour, maybe less time. I had one quadroupal! :dance:

PeterMac

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Wow, what a trip!!

WTG

TR

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
GRB and friends,

Glad you could make it over here this past weekend. It was one of the most memorable weekends of fishing we have had in a long time. Great ocean, weather and the fish were really on the bite!

SD

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice post but posts like this is just killing me. Cause here I sit at work just wishin I could go fishing. :grin: Oh well if I can not go at least I can hear about it. Way to go guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
395 Posts
that nice smooth ocean in the background just starts making me so invious. Wish I could get out there and whack a few.
Congrats on the great day and getting on the wifes good side. :wink:
Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Great day GRB, great day :dance:
Thanks for the hospitality. Hoped the lingcod worked!
Let's do it again some time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
:shocked: Wow! :shocked: What a day! Chinooks and coho and bottomfish? All three of you must have had your mojo working for you that day. Certainly a trip to remember. Congratulations!

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Congrats! nice fish and a flat swimmin' pool.

I have not hunted anything this hard since elk horns mattered to me.

Mark and the Willie huntin' dog.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Now that looks like a good way to spend a day

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
i am jealous! good job on the haul. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Yup, a memorable day for sure. Big thanks to Depoe Bay dan for the bottomfish school as well! You were right on the mark Dan my man! Thanks again! All Bruces doubles were on your shrimp fly and plastics combos. :smile:

UG

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nice fish. How about thet ocean. Not many of those days out their. Glad you were able to enjoy one of them.

Thanks for the pictures.

:dance:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow, that looked like a lot of fun. The ocean looked great that day. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts