IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 1 of my kids and my wife and the dog to the big D Sat. morning, where we picked up another one of my kids from a rafting trip, and headed east from there. I caught a couple trout on the D while waiting for the Armada to show up.

We were mostly rockhounding and exploring, but as luck would have it, we had 8 or 9 fishing poles, 3 tackle boxes, my flytying gear, and a driftboat along also. We camped at Prineville Res Sat. night, caught some small bass, but I would have rather caught some crappie. However, I am a crappy Crappie fisherman. yuk, yuk, yuk. We started off Sunday by looking for petrified wood s.e. of Prineville. We found some, but got very hot and sweaty in the process, so we stood in the Crooked river to cool off. Since Fate had obviously decreed that I fly-Fish, I caught a bunch of run-of-the-mill Crooked River rainbows. The hottest fly was a hot pink Serendipity. A Griffiths gnat was actually more productive, but I got tired of squintin' and wonderin', so I put on the Serendipity on a dropper behind a Blacktail caddis. Monday morning we got up and headed over to Maury Mountain for agate and smashed knuckles. No problem getting both. We then headed north to White Fir Springs for thundereggs. We found them quickly enough that on the way back into Prineville, we stopped at Ochoco Reservoir where we power-baited 6 fat holdover rainbows to the shore in about 1-1/2 hours. The trout ranged from 12 to 15 inches long. Those are beautiful fish and easy to catch but we just ate them and they have a slightly mossy taste. Not as bad as an August Crane Prairie rainbow, but noticeable. (Please pass the garlic salt).

We were going to stay until Wednesday but my son hadn't seen his girlfriend for almost a week and was beginning to go off his feed. For this kid, that is a huge change, a sign that something is seriously wrong, so we headed home after fishing Ochoco. It was a good trip, but not long enough.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Snapset, very nice report on a fun filled weekend. I was at Ochoco Res on Saturday AM and the rainbow were in excellent shape. I could not believe their size for the small lake and they had really red meat, like a cutthroat and unlike most hatcher fish. I think they were a little mossy now that you mention it. Our half day there was fun filled but sounds like your weekend trip was a real blast. Look out for that son if he cannot stand more than a week away from that girlfriend. Are they old enough to hear bells, Wedding bells.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Snapset,
Good report. I did the Sunriver week last week with the family. Between biking, canoeing, and hiking I did manage an afternoon at Lava Lake, fighting the wind on my pontoon boat. I landed 3 dandy rainbows from 12-14 inches that tasted as nice as they looked. Would you mind emailing me a little more info on the rock hounding? My son is determined to find a meteorite, but we might have to settle for a thunder egg or two. Thanks,
Cliff
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adiboy, this is a great site. It has directions and more. http://orerockon.com/ore_map.htm I would recommend Richardsons ranch if you are just starting out. They are about 11 miles north of Madras on 97. About 2 hours away from you is all. You will find all the thundereggs you care to buy. They cost less than a buck a pound, so in my opinion it is cheaper than driving way up into the boonies and beating the tarnation out of your new conversion van like some misguided sourdough wannabe and ruining your tires on bad roads, not to mention all the gas that pig guzzles pulling a loaded driftboat to the top of Maury Mountain. Sorry, I was describing me.
The people at Richardsons are helpful and friendly and have a great rockshop where they will cut and polish your eggs if you want them to. You can find your own thundereggs or you can buy them from the pile they have at the shop. This is a very cool place for someone interested in rocks. I have a book called Gem Trails of Oregon by James Mitchell. It has been very helpful also. E-mail me if you want more info.

Edit: add Phone #
Richardsons Phone #:541-475-2680
475-2839

[ 06-17-2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Snapset ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts