IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been up to crescent lake since it snowed?

I have kind of fallen in love with jigging mackinaw from a kayak and want to make the 2 hour trip from Prineville to Crescent and try pulling some up, but I have never been to the lake and don't know what the road would be like this time of year, and if the lake freezes over. I would assume given the elevation at the lake that it does and probably has by now, but I would sure hate to miss the chance to fish it based on assumption.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You might want to try and contact the Crescent Lake Resort at 541-433-2505 to see what they say. They may not even be open because of the plague.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Been a cold winter in the Mts, I would assume it has quite a bit of ice and it’s so low. Talked with a client last week that lives there and hosts during the summer and it’s very low. No launches, even resort is useable. Kayak might be another story.

was at LBC last night and they have awesome kayak launch from the dock. Was a cool set up to get in/out of a yak

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to try and contact the Crescent Lake Resort at 541-433-2505 to see what they say. They may not even be open because of the plague.
"Plague" LOL

I didn't even think to call because their website says they are closed. But I may try tomorrow. Why not right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been a cold winter in the Mts, I would assume it has quite a bit of ice and it’s so low. Talked with a client last week that lives there and hosts during the summer and it’s very low. No launches, even resort is useable. Kayak might be another story.

was at LBC last night and they have awesome kayak launch from the dock. Was a cool set up to get in/out of a yak
I was actually at LBC today. Took my kiddo out on the kayaks on the Deschutes branch. Water was like glass which from what I understand isn't the best for bites, but certainly helps on a paddle kayak. LOL We were able to land two. Looking back, I think I may have needed a heavier jig. I think I was running a 1/2 oz and they were running between 80-120 feet. But we both had a blast.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was actually at LBC today. Took my kiddo out on the kayaks on the Deschutes branch. Water was like glass which from what I understand isn't the best for bites, but certainly helps on a paddle kayak. LOL We were able to land two. Looking back, I think I may have needed a heavier jig. I think I was running a 1/2 oz and they were running between 80-120 feet. But we both had a blast.
There are no access to the lake as it is snowed in. road is gated.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Drag. I'm really itching to try fishing there. I fish from a kayak. Does Crescent get really windy in the spring?
Early morning is your friend for glass fishing on Crescent or Odell pretty much. Though both have “Less” windy areas for most of the day.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Drag. I'm really itching to try fishing there. I fish from a kayak. Does Crescent get really windy in the spring?
Haven't done kayaks there in springtime. But we caught a handful of kokes last July in kayaks. It was pretty windy at times, but it fluctuates. My portable fish finder was my best friend. It's real tough to find schooling fish when you can't see the schools. I had tried in years past with no luck. Got this portable fish finder online and it worked great! Can't wait to do it again. Going to be August this summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Crescent Lake Resort has several live cameras that you can see the water from, but I have not been able to access them lately.

The lake water level is currently at 26% of full, so it will be a slog to get to the water.
Hydromet Pacific Northwest Region | Bureau of Reclamation
The 26% full means that the reservoir level, on the top 40 ft, is only down 29 feet total so the lake is still over 200’ deep. Even with that draw down, it can be tough to launch since they dont plow the ramp anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't done kayaks there in springtime. But we caught a handful of kokes last July in kayaks. It was pretty windy at times, but it fluctuates. My portable fish finder was my best friend. It's real tough to find schooling fish when you can't see the schools. I had tried in years past with no luck. Got this portable fish finder online and it worked great! Can't wait to do it again. Going to be August this summer.
I have a fish finder installed on my kayak.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Does anyone have an update on ramp access at crescent? Thinking of a day trip to do some jigging

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I’ll go ahead and answer my own question. Didn’t get any PMs or advice on conditions, so I’ll let other in on what I discovered saturday.
March 29 access and fishing report:!
I towed the big boat up to crescent with an arrival around 10 am. Stayed straight on the road in to head to the lodge. There is some packed snow and ice on the road in. Patches of pavement are visible. We didn’t need chains in my duramax. The launch fee is $10.
The lake is low and no improved ramps are usable. The lodge has a set of docks in with a very shallow access point. Launch vehicles need to be 4WD with a high ground clearance.

Launching my catamaran required use of a deeper spot off to the west of the placed docks. We would later learn that taking out there isn’t possible, as the loaded trailer will sink into the sand and gravel.
We caught kokanee nonstop once we located some groups of fish. Probably sorted through 60+ fish to get our limits. Fish are mostly small and run 6-10”, but still lots of fun to catch on light gear and p-line jigs in pink, orange, and white combos.
Water temp was 36.5 degrees at the surface.
Snow surrounds the lake.
When taking out by the dock, expect to have water up to your truck doors in order to get trailer bunks deep enough. We were 30 yards into the lake to get loaded up. The ground is solid though.

It was a beautiful day on the lake and great to get out again. Hopefully this will be useful to others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts