IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to have a crawdad feed this summer, but don't know where a good location is for gathering these miniature lobsters. The Newport area has some great streams, but the Wilson (at least where I've looked) has slim picking.
Does anyone have any recommendations, just general info (unless you want to email/PM me with your personal favorite honey hole)
Thanks

· Ichthyomaniac
2,995 Posts
I don't think dads live in salt or brackish water. I've gotten decent hauls of them from the nehalem just above Mohler Sand and Gravel, and on up the river.

A fun way to do it if you have kids (or are a kid :wink: ) is to chuck a couple traps and then wade around in the shallows "hunting" and grabbing with a pair of bbq tongs or by hand, while waiting to pull the traps. Better in the summer of course.

Try searching the archives for more info.

· Registered
2,982 Posts
Fishindogs, I would say the Upper Nestucca...Lots of nice big holes with boulders do drop a bait in there...(summer time of course)I've even seen a trap in the hole at the wayside from time to time. I would use them as bait...steelhead love the raw meat :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I remember going to Spruce Run with my family when I was a kid. We always caught tons of crawfish. Matter of fact that is why we would go there - to camp and have crawfish feeds. It used to be thick with them...probably still is :grin: . Good luck.

· Registered
969 Posts
The Nehalem has (had? :depressed: ) always been great for me. Wade around in the shallows during the summer. Traps work but grabbing them by hand is a whole lot more fun, especially with kids involved.

And the adults can retire to streamside with hot buttered rums on the backpacking stove. :cool:

Only thing is . . . it seems that each time I return, more of the river and my favorite spots are posted against TRESPASSING! :depressed:

[ 01-12-2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Paddlefish ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.