IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive tried the chicken wing, and the can of cat/dog food with holes in it...bacon too. All with mixed results (hit or miss)

Who uses what for crawdad bait? and hows your catch? Any secret recipes out there?

Also, Ive never really studied what types of water are better than others...fast? slow? shallow? deep? East coast they are hard NOT to catch. Heres a different story sometimes.

Thanks in advance. (keta) :grin:

[ 06-30-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
last time out was last summer at Diamond lake. My son started seeing dads in the rocks so we gave it a go with a trap i had brought along. bacon and ham were that baits we used. we had enough to enjoy a meal for 2.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
we used to use fish pieces or chicken liver. We'd put our traps out overnight and pull them in the morning. I think the first thing you need to do is make sure there are crawdads where you're trapping. If they're around you should get into them.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Shad is a killer. Fish guts, bacon, salmon eggs (old ones!)

The trick is putting the trap where there are crawdads!

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
when i was a kid, it was always bacon or fatty chicken pieces.

as for trap placement, i haven't done any crawdading up here (but i'm going to start once i get done revamping the drifter) so this is assumption: little, if any, current. while these guys can move quite fast when they want to, for the most part they crawl around pretty slowly. any current will make it difficult for them to negotiate their way into the trap. i don't think they really have much of a preference for rocks or mud on the bottom. i'd also say that 20' is the maximum depth (although i could easily be wrong on this). if you're trying to figure out where to drop your trap, think about where their food sources are. really deep water tends to have very little food available. too shallow and water temp becomes a problem (for various reasons).

can't wait to have me a good ol' fashioned crawdad boil!! MMMM MMMM!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shad is the ultimate. I have talked with commercial crawfishers and that was their first choice. Areas best for catching the little rascals is structure whether its rock, stumps or debris. They need the cover to keep from gettin' ate. Its also been my expeience that you will do better soaking your pots overnight rather than during the daylight hours.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Don't laugh......Oatmeal. Seriously, fix quaker oatmeal extra thick and pour it into those little metal boxes that tea comes in. Let it set up and poke a bunch of holes in the can with a nail. As far as locations, you can't beat Timothy lake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats nice Gus and if we consider them a fish you will have something nice to post. I would sure love {cousin love} to see some pics of your catch next time your out.
ps Gramps used cat food in the Willie around Wilsonville and he was the crawfish king.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.