IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine went there a while back and sent me this report. I got a good chuckle out of it, thought ya'll might enjoy it, too

Sunday, we had a wonderful drive down and arrived at the north entrance to Crater LakeNational Park around 2:30 PM. We became concerned when the park ranger suggested that we might want to turn around since the mountain was overcast and the lake not visible from the road. I informed her that we had just driven 300 miles and would like to stay for a few days to see if conditions improved. We drove to the Mazama Campground along the North Rim Drive. It was quite lovely until we got to the lake rim when the fog affected driving conditions significantly.

We checked into the campground and picked tent site F11 based on the suggestion of the [sic] Halliburton employee at the gate (seems that the USNPS has subcontracted all the "non-ranger" tasks). We had a breath-taking view of the valley just behind the tent. The weather was "drizzly" so we stayed in camp for the evening and I built a rippin' fire to keep us warm.

Monday morning, after a bracer of S'Mores and coffee, we headed to the Cleetwood Trail trailhead to get tickets for a boat ride to WizardIsland. We got there around 10:00 AM and found that boat rides were cancelled for the day due to lake conditions. We also learned that tickets were 1st come, 1st served and that this was only the 2nd time this season that lake access was affected. We spent the day driving around the north rim and taking many pictures. It should be said that the only access to the lake is by Cleetwood Trail and that the USNPS owns the only boats allowed on the lake (since the mid 60's).

Monday evening the weather changed to steady rain. We found most of the leaks in the tent by 9:00 PM. It seemed important that I pitch the tent in the lowest point in our campsite. Well, I fired up the kerosene heater and got the tent hot enough to scorch the mosquito netting and melt our inflatable mattress. We had more S'Mores and watched a movie in the DVD player while contemplating our situation.

Tuesday morning arrived bright and sunny with Chipmunks squeaking and Blue jays screeching (seems I left S’Mores fixins out and there was a big fight over them). After a decent breakfast, we headed to back to Cleetwood trailhead and got our 11:00 AM tickets (boat ride w/ 2-HR stop over on WizardIsland). We returned to the campground and threw most of our clothes in the dryers (provided at the camp store). Now dry, caffeinated, and feeling significantly better, we drove back to Cleetwood for the hike down to the lake. It should be noted that the 1.2-mile hike descends 700 feet to the lakeshore. The trails are well maintained but not wheelchair accessible. The hike down was brisk (uncontrolled). It should also be noted that the chipmunks rove around in gangs and are apparently carnivorous. However, happily, you can place kick them a good 20 yards.

We arrived (winded) at the docks about 12:15. The water is indeed so glassy smooth, crystal clear, and wonderfully clean that you can see the fish (it is also only about 40°F, so don't try swimming). Since all our fishin reels were new I set up both poles with 4oz lead sinkers and made some trial casts into the lake. My Zebco 808 (Kmart $3.00 special) worked perfectly the 1st cast and then fowled permanently on the 2nd. I swapped it for the emergency backup Zebco 33 that functioned admirably. Ranger Bob (his real name) informed me that the rangers gladly accepted all fish we caught and that we could ONLY USE ARTIFICIAL lures and flies...no baits. This is in direct conflict of the other rangers we spoke to. I told Ranger Bob that since I was only using a sinker to exercise the lines he was more than welcome to anything I caught.

Of the 6 species of fish introduced to the lake, only 2 survive. The trout inhabit the shallow waters around the shoreline. The Kokanee are found between 200 and 400 ft. There is a native crawdad that both species apparently relish (I suggest crawdad shaped jigs). Ranger Bob stopped me from skewering a particularly determined chipmunk (probably related to that little furball I kicked thru the trees) on treble hook and using it as bait.

I tried a couple of different rigs from the dock but didn't get any bites. I had a few interested followers that the 50 people on the dock were more than happy to jump up and down and point out to me. We didn't have time to hike around to Palisade Point before the boat ride. This is supposed to be a reliable spot to fish. I did try some casts from the (more secluded) shore (cliffs) behind the bathrooms. A ranger informed me that the water depth was approximately 400' straight down.

The boat ride to the island was very informative. We were the only 2 with fishin gear, the rest of the folks were going to hike to the summit of the cinder cone. Once on WizardIsland we hiked over to the boathouses (secluded docks) and set up for some serious fishin. Rose had fun snagging everything I put on her line and, after losing 3 or 4 lures, decided to watch me instead. I tried flies, lures, artificial and natural bait, chipmunk bits, anything I could get my hands on but didn't get a single bite. The family that followed us to the other docks finally tired of throwing rocks into the lake (or they just ran out of little lava bits) and left for their hike.

After a fruitless hour fishin I rearranged my tackle box and we dined on the Scooby snacks we'd brought while waiting for the boat to come back. We finished our lake tour and got lots more pictures.

It's a good thing we didn't catch any fish since cleaning them in the lake is strictly verboten and the hike back up from the docks is 3 times longer and 5 times higher than trip down. The added weight of actual fish would have been too much. For dinner, I made fish-shaped burgers and we had fun pretending the last of the marshmallows were chipmunks as they roasted in the campfire.

Wednesday, after breaking camp, we took the South Rim Drive and hit all the photo op stops for some more breath-taking pictures. The lake was calmer than Tuesday making for interesting mirror-reflections of the rim wall. The trip home was uneventful. I had a can of Tuna fish for dinner and contemplated our next fishing trip.

· Registered
1,949 Posts
I tried it about two weeks ago and had a similar experience.... I had a small creek flowing through my tent:passout:. I didn't even try to walk down to the lake that day becasue it was raining so hard.

Nice post.... brought back some memmories and chuckles:grin:

S_B

· Registered
241 Posts
Great munk punting action! I hear the limit is 3 a day - natives only.

The wife and I went to the lake in July. Perfection is the only word that fits. I wanted to do the boat trip too, but the wife being 7 months pregnant talked me out of it. Go figure.:shrug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.