IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 1965 Galaxie that has no engine and need to find one. I live in Alaska though and shipping from one of the suppliers in the lower 48 is going to be pretty high. My son is driving up this summer and has offered to bring it with him. Does anyone on here have any experience with crate engines and can recommend a source?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Go to Ford? I don't know what motors were common in the Galaxie in that era. When I needed a new motor for my '84 GMC pick-up after the crappy rebuilt I bought a few years before started burning oil I went to a NEW GM crate motor. I opted for the performance model for an extra $600.00. I had a local special interest auto shop install it. You know you'll get quality with a factory build.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've bought two engines from these guys for two boat projects I had going within the last couple years. It was at the begining of the covid mess and they still came thru with the delivery in decent time frame. Motors were solid, but they were basically stock specs. No experiance with their performance motors, but they have been around for sometime. They may have auto engines also, not sure, call them,,,gregg

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I don’t know anything about fords from this era
But I would look to see what popular motors the 352 shares architecture with
And say if it’s a 351 (I think Cleveland and Windsor are interchangeable but really do your research on that) or 302 I would look seriously at Blueprint engines.
The Restomod world is going nuts but a coyote is really wide and may be serious headache trying to fit it between shock towers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Good question. According to the original paperwork it came with a 352 but I'm open to suggestions. I want to stay with a small block so I don't run short of room.
The 352 of that era was not a small block. It was one of Ford's "FE" series big blocks.
Which means the mounts, bell housing and accessory brackets you have should fit the entire spectrum of FE blocks including the 390 and even the 406 or 427 of similar vintage.
My mom's '64 Galaxie 500 had the 390 and it was a really well balanced package that cruised nicely and got about 16-18mpg on the hwy.
Ford made millions of 390s for everything from performance cars to 1 ton pickups.
They should be the most available, but you may end having to get a reman rather than a new crate engine if you choose to stay with an FE series engine of any size.

Sounds like a fun project.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I started a motor swap on my beloved old '70 C10 in the spring of 2018. I needed a typical Goodwrench crate 350 4bolt. I saw nice deals advertised locally, but when ever I called or stopped by a Chevy dealer the price was always a grand more. B>() I googled and googled ... and googled some more until I found a fair price in the mid west. They drop shipped it to my driveway ... no charge. Can't recall the name. I would recommend shopping hard. Don't be afraid to get it shipped to him.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree with the previous post that 390’s were huge back then. 351’s came in Cleveland and Windsor models. Windsor’s were dogs; Cleveland’s were considered the performance models. My first car was a 67 Galaxy 500. Huge backseat for a high school junior. Quite the cruiser, but not much for performance.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The 390 cu in (6.4 L) 2v is rated at 265 bhp (197.6 kW) @ 4,100 rpm, while the 4v version was rated at 320 bhp (238.6 kW) @ 4,100 rpm in certain applications. Certain 1967 & 68 Mustangs had 390 4v engines rated at 335 horsepower (250 kW), as did some Fairlane GTs and S code Mercury Cougars.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm restoring a 1965 Galaxie that has no engine and need to find one. I live in Alaska though and shipping from one of the suppliers in the lower 48 is going to be pretty high. My son is driving up this summer and has offered to bring it with him. Does anyone on here have any experience with crate engines and can recommend a source?
Curious if you know what engine came with the car? Could have been a straight 6 or 289 as well as the FEs in 352, 390, 427 or 428. Sounds like a fun project I love the mid sixties Galaxies. To your question, I think crate engines are kinda limited to the more popular late model engines...Chevy LSs or Ford Coyotes. Maybe go with a local engine shop building you one that your son can deliver? That way you can get a sweet 428 and a 4 speed delivered to you. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks, that's where I'm leaning. And Summit is one of the places I'm looking at.
I bought a 351 W from them and it was a piece of crap! Sent that one back and the next one was also a piece of crap. They were for my sled. The second one ran just till it was out of warranty and the head gasket on the right went bad. Heads being resurfaced as I write.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I bought a 351 W from them and it was a piece of crap! Sent that one back and the next one was also a piece of crap. They were for my sled. The second one ran just till it was out of warranty and the head gasket on the right went bad. Heads being resurfaced as I write.
In my experience small block fords have a crap design and head gaskets go regularly
I have owned Two 302s and a 351 and all three went through head gaskets and water pumps. It was absurd

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 352 of that era was not a small block. It was one of Ford's "FE" series big blocks.
Which means the mounts, bell housing and accessory brackets you have should fit the entire spectrum of FE blocks including the 390 and even the 406 or 427 of similar vintage.
My mom's '64 Galaxie 500 had the 390 and it was a really well balanced package that cruised nicely and got about 16-18mpg on the hwy.
Ford made millions of 390s for everything from performance cars to 1 ton pickups.
They should be the most available, but you may end having to get a reman rather than a new crate engine if you choose to stay with an FE series engine of any size.

Sounds like a fun project.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.
390 for sure .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
390 two barrel version should be just the ticket to wake your Galaxie up. The 2 barrel version will likely have lower compression, cost less, and run on regular gas.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
In my experience small block fords have a crap design and head gaskets go regularly
I have owned Two 302s and a 351 and all three went through head gaskets and water pumps. It was absurd

That's weird, I've ran many from stock 289/302's to 750hp 408's and never had a head gasket failure.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've heard of a couple guys who re-powered their boats with then 351 and always seemed to have issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts