IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out in some medium size swells on the Columbia and on several large rivers but never anything over about 3ft. I know with this size swells to quarter them but I haven't been in big swells or waves that break. How do you handle them, do you quarter them the same as smaller ones or do you take em head on? Just in case I find myself in bigger swells or waves, I would like to be sorta ready and have a game plan to make is safely. Since sea sickness is one thing I get very easily, I don't put myself in situations where I might get the vomits but things happen. With no cover to get into or behind, what would be the game plan? (open boat smaller than 19ft)

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
How far apart are the swells? how steep are they?

Last summer I was out coho fishing in a buds 20' sled. the swells were big-10-12 feet. But they were 15 seconds apart and fairly flat. You spent as much time going up and down as you did on the "flats" between swells.

This weekend we were out again. This time in a 24'trophy. The swells were maybe 6-7 feet high. Wind chop was a factor.The bow shoveled a few times just trolling. It was sloppy and the swells were quite steep. We fished for an hour and bagged it.This is a fine ocean boat too.

I take the big stuff more or less fairly straight. It is easy to get sideways at a bad time quartering big swells. So I just point the bow into the center of the action and hold on.

i also think that trolling speed is safer than running hard( within reason). You seem to bob around better at slow speeds.

Mark and the still salty dog.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Probably the best advice would be to check with the Coast Guard regarding bar conditions before you launch. Bad or even marginal bars are not to deal with.

Dont know what else to tell you other than,

Good luck and be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts